FP200 vs T&E (vs LSOH T&E)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apart from being something like 3 to 4 times the price - any disadvantages to using something like FP200 (Gold?) instead of T&E or LSOF T&E ?
Reason for asking is that we'll be getting some work done in church, and some advice documents say T&E shouldn't be used - eg the Electric Wiring document from this site says :
For instance the use of ‘flat twin core and earth’ is not recommended, all wiring should be in low smoke, zero halogen, flame retardant cables such as Prysimian FP200 Flex 2 core plus earth or mineral insulated copper cable (MICC)
Mind you, the very next sentence rather knocks it's credibility by saying :
Cores should be sized for the application current, but typically 2.5mm2 would be appropriate
:rolleyes:
The reason for LSOF (they actually say Low Smoke and Fume, LSF) is partly for safety and partly because it reduces the smoke damage in what can be historic and/or listed buildings.
In our case, all the existing cabling I can see is standard grey T&E, don't know how old it is but it's almost all old colours. There's very little of it actually showing, and none where it's likely to be seen by visitors.

The screening in FP200 could be helpful - there's a lot of interference at the moment from electrical stuff into the sound systems. No idea ATM how much is conducted (there's a lot of stuff on one radial - including some flouros on a fused spur) and how much is radiated - but I can't see the screening making things worse, and there's thoughts of separating out the supplies for lighting, sockets, and sound systems.

Sponsored Links
In my house (2001) they seam to use grey for downstairs ring and white for upstairs ring, to stop them getting confused when installing under the floor boards.

Hadn't realized the price difference until recently, but I guess its cheaper than making a mistake between rings and having to lift floor boards!

Seam to have used a mixture of white a grey for upstairs lights. One colour front, one back even though its on the same circuit!

Sponsored Links
From my quick look about, white LSOF T&E isn't that much more expensive (about 20% ?). But is all white T&E LSOF ?
But in the past, I've been to pick some up, and all the wholesaler has had (or the cheapest they've had) has been white - so perhaps that happened to them and left them with a roll of white to use up ?

Fp200 is made in 2 versions, one is more flexible than the other, sometimes a larger CSA can be specified for a reason, sometimes as a fire safety measure.
Appendix 17 also suggests considering increased Csa to reduce energy losses.
Of course they may have just F****d up. :)

Back then, round here, it was nearly always white stocked at the wholesalers , then suddenly Grey was the norm

Back then, round here, it was nearly always white stocked at the wholesalers , then suddenly Grey was the norm
Wasn't there a time when all T&E in consumer outlets ('sheds' etc.) (primarily for DIY use) was white, whereas that which came from wholesalers etc. (and was used by electricians) was grey?

Kind Regards, John

Wasn't there a time when all T&E in consumer outlets ('sheds' etc.) (primarily for DIY use) was white, whereas that which came from wholesalers etc. (and was used by electricians) was grey?

Kind Regards, John
I dont use T and E much, but i know all my Red and Black that I stupidly scrapped, in 2004 when the core colour changed was white, and that would have been from a wholesalers and i was left with loads of white clips spare as the wholesalers give us grey now.
The new grey sheath always seemed softer than the old white sheath, i always assumed to do with the Lsf feature.

I dont use T and E much, but i know all my Red and Black that I stupidly scrapped, in 2004 when the core colour changed was white, and that would have been from a wholesalers and i was left with loads of white clips spare as the wholesalers give us grey now.
My recollection (perhaps wrong) is that wholesalers offereds a choice of either colour, but 'sheds' etc. generally only sold white.
The new grey sheath always seemed softer than the old white sheath, i always assumed to do with the Lsf feature.
Yes, I think it is a bit softer, but I don't think it#s got anything to do with LSF - if it were, they would probably have been boasting about the feature (and charging extra for it)!

Kind Regards, John

Apart from being something like 3 to 4 times the price - any disadvantages to using something like FP200 (Gold?) instead of T&E or LSOF T&E ?
Reason for asking is that we'll be getting some work done in church, and some advice documents say T&E shouldn't be used - eg the Electric Wiring document from this site says :

Mind you, the very next sentence rather knocks it's credibility by saying :

:rolleyes:
The reason for LSOF (they actually say Low Smoke and Fume, LSF) is partly for safety and partly because it reduces the smoke damage in what can be historic and/or listed buildings.
In our case, all the existing cabling I can see is standard grey T&E, don't know how old it is but it's almost all old colours. There's very little of it actually showing, and none where it's likely to be seen by visitors.

The screening in FP200 could be helpful - there's a lot of interference at the moment from electrical stuff into the sound systems. No idea ATM how much is conducted (there's a lot of stuff on one radial - including some flouros on a fused spur) and how much is radiated - but I can't see the screening making things worse, and there's thoughts of separating out the supplies for lighting, sockets, and sound systems.

LSOF?

LSF, LSZH, LSOH are the usual acronyms.

Apart from that, nothing to add, sorry.

As you were.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back