Franke Athena tap, can remove spout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, The spout has become so stiff to turn that it sometimes turns the main pillar with it. I have undone the securing ring and tried to pull the spout out to clean and replace the o rings (which I understand is the procedure) but it seems firmly stuck. Is it just a case of more brute force or is there some other trick.
- I can’t help noticing that most complaints about this tap are that it leaks through this area but mine seems firmly gunked up and leakproof!

06E7CE96-2B7C-4C83-BC3E-51EA569BC992.png

Sponsored Links
Is there a screw at the base of neck at the back? Remove and pull neck

It looks like you need to wiggle it. I suspect that yours might be full of limescale if it will not turn. The O-rings are normally there to prevent water leaking from where the spout meets the body.

Do follow the advice about smearing some silicon grease on the o-rings, it will stop them from sticking. Do not use petroleum jelly though. It will degrade the o-rings.

Here is the spare parts diagram.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8...eWs/view?resourcekey=0-Xpr3zvbF-Tl_ZmRxUOeQSg

1. Taken from the installation instructions: "If for any reason the spout is removed from the tap, care must be taken when reinserting the spout into the body to ensure that the Grub Screw is located in the split of the white PTFE ring".
2. From that I would expect there to be a grub screw in the base, at the back. If so likely to need a 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0 mm Allen key to slacken it off. Don't lose it!
3. Take care that the grub screw does go back into the split in the white plastic "ring". Otherwise the spout will bind.

Sponsored Links
1. Taken from the installation instructions: "If for any reason the spout is removed from the tap, care must be taken when reinserting the spout into the body to ensure that the Grub Screw is located in the split of the white PTFE ring".
2. From that I would expect there to be a grub screw in the base, at the back. If so likely to need a 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0 mm Allen key to slacken it off. Don't lose it!
3. Take care that the grub screw does go back into the split in the white plastic "ring". Otherwise the spout will bind.

Oops... You are correct, it does say that.

It looks like the plastic ring is at the top, above the two o-rings. I wonder why a grub screw isn't mentioned in the parts list?

Edit------

I can still not find anything else that mentions a grub screw...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Franke-Ath...prefix=franke+athena+tap+oring,aps,251&sr=8-1

In the above, they recommend removing the retaining nut and simply lifting the spout out- as per the video that I linked to.

I suspect that the official instructions are wrong. I can't recall seeing a tap with a retaining nut AND a grub screw.

I guess the OP can use a mirror or their phone to see if their is a screw at the back of the body.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, I’m sure there’s no grub screw as I have looked all around and other web sources confirm no screw on this type - there’s even a YouTube on it. I think I need something to get rid of limescale etc. inside the housing and am trying to drip some de-scaler in. Let me know if this is a bad idea!!

The spout does bind, it’s true.
DAMHIK :D

Hi folks,

Did you find out how to remove the spout? I have an Athena and the spout has broken off. When I try to pull the spout out it’s as if there is a grub screw retaining it but I can’t figure out where to access it.

Thanks

Hi, I took the whole assembly out of the sink and tried to force the spout out using the screw feature on my Workmate. It came out eventually but I had to wiggle it a bit and in the process the tube cracked. I am sure it is meant to pull out but as has been said they do tend to bind making it very difficult. Mine was chrome plated, 5 yrs old in hard water area. I replaced it with a Grohe Ambi for £97 on Amazon, seems like a good tap.

Hi, I took the whole assembly out of the sink and tried to force the spout out using the screw feature on my Workmate. It came out eventually but I had to wiggle it a bit and in the process the tube cracked. I am sure it is meant to pull out but as has been said they do tend to bind making it very difficult. Mine was chrome plated, 5 yrs old in hard water area. I replaced it with a Grohe Ambi for £97 on Amazon, seems like a good tap.

Thanks for the reply.

I've just spoken to Franke this morning and they said there definitely isn't a retaining screw. They're going to send a out a replacement spout so hopefully that will show where it is catching in the base.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back