Free Video Compression programs. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend or suggest a good video compressor program please?

Sponsored Links
Well I hope the OP and you understand all that goobledegook on that website because I couldn't therefore I cannot be bothered.

Sponsored Links
Couldn't get my head around it.

What are you trying to do? Convert a file, capture desktop, or something else? I could probably start you off.

The difficulty might be with having a CLI rather than a GUI but you get used to it and it's actually way more flexible.

I wanted to compress a family wedding video to put on social media. My stepson asked if he could have a go on his PC at college, and with the help of his tutor, he has managed to do it. Now been posted to absent family members who wished to see how the wedding went. No idea what programme/software he used so don't ask, LOL.
Thanks for your input.

Easy to find ... 'Cause you ain't gonna know off top of your head...

Does it compress real good ?
-0-

Depending on how big it is and what format it's in, Iamchamps could well be right - just upload it.

If it's really really big or in a format that Vimeo or Yt don't like then you should convert it to x264 or similar first.

If you want to edit it (chop bits out, usually a good idea) then either use VirtualDub (or Windows Movie Maker) before uploading or upload it first then edit using the youtube website tools.

In ffmpeg a conversion is simple - it being a command line interface (CLI) makes it a one-shot operation like so:

Code:
$ ffmpeg -i original_file.avi -an -vcodec libx264 -crf 23 outfile.h264

You could scale the resolution at the same time if you wanted but it's likely to be 720p or 1080p already, if so don't bother.

Here is someone using freeby VLC player to do the biz... Seems plausible.
If you balk at using eye glazing command line programs like ffmpeg, then VLC player may be the prog' to use.
Certainly VLC would appear a good place to begin - plenty of postings on use and abuse - Not sold on no loss of quality, but may certainly be good enough.

-0-

Sponsored Links
Back