Freestanding open structure (wooden)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i'm hoping somebody can offer some advice regarding building control/regulations.

The situation is that we would like to build something similar to an open 'lean to' in our garden, but very close to the neighbours house wall, and also our own garage.

Just to make it clear, the neighbours are fine with our ideas and have no issues, however I obviously want to do it all by the book.

To keep things simple, can we lay a concrete base with a gap between our garage wall and the neighbours wall and then put some timber posts in to build the structure?
How big would the gap have to be from our garage/their wall?

It would be about 1.5m by 6m (like a long shed to store garden tools in etc).

Are there any regulations involved in this instance? Essentially, it's a shed with a concrete floor.

Also, even though the timber posts would support the structure, can the plastic roof touch the garage/neighbours walls? (or does that then class it as attached?)

If I need to speak to the council I will do, but I didn't want to go over the top with what is quite a common sense/simple structure.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back