French doors. Realign or renew!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved house which has 2 sets of French doors to the back room to the outside.
These are very draughty. From the inside, in places the door does not reach the rubber gasket. Also from the outside the doors hardly reach to overlap the centre bar therefore not creating a draught proof seal.
A handle has broke and others are mismatched so I will need 4 new sets of handles.

Now I have tried to adjust the hinges but it won't budge any further. Ideally it needs moving over about 7/8mm.

Can these be realigned along with new handles or better replacing with new ones for better A grade glass. They are 10 years old.

Sponsored Links
Can you post some pics of inside and out?
Im sure we can talk you through any adjustments once we know the hinge types.

It could be worth getting a few company's into quote for both repair and replace. Your probably looking at about £150 per glass unit and about £40 per handle or new French doors will be around £850-1000 each depending on your location and the company's you get to quote.

I have put draught excluder foam top and bottom of centre bar. The top is hidden but the bottom shows highlighting the door does not overlap the centre bar properly.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Those butt hinges have very little adjustment I'm afraid, And it looks like some of them are already on the max setting.

It may be possible to have new flag hinges fitted which would give much more adjustment.
I have been fitting and making windows and doors for 20 years and I would be a bit worried about changing non like for like hinges, So you want someone who really knows what they are doing and has done it a few times.

Ask some local double glazing company's for quotes to change the hinges/handles and quote for new while they are there.
And maybe try a few window doctor type company's for quotes on just the hinges/handles.

Thanks. I'm guessing a few hundred quid for handles and adjustment. Brother in law of a friend coming on Monday to have a look. He said in region of £1800 for two new sets. Will ask about the hinges also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back