Fresh start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone here ever moved away, on their own, to start afresh in a different part of the country?

If so, what were the circumstances and did everything work out for you?

I ask because I'm considering moving from Doncaster to Southport (110 miles) and living with a friend. I'd possibly get a transfer with my current employer, or search for a new job there.

Sponsored Links
Is the friendship strong enough to endure being constantly under each others feet?

As Tim says, mates is mates but living together is a whole different kettle of fish. You WILL get peed off with each other from time to time no matter how good a friend you both are, its only natural. But... on the other hand, its a great way to make a new start. You have somewhere to live, you'll be with someone you know, he/she can show you the places to drink, eat etc.

As the saying goes, the only risk in life is not taking any! I'm married with a son now so its not something I'd be able or want to do but I did have the chance to do something similar about 20 years ago... Do I regret not having doing it? Its a difficult question as I have (as I say), a wife and son now but if I was still single I think I'd go for it.

3 years ago when I finished uni I got the chance to do some work experience in an office here in North Yorkshire which turned into a permanent job offer. I never really got the chance to think about it or put into perspective what I was actually doing - moving to a new place where I knew nobody, and leaving family & friends 350 miles away. If I had I might have got cold feet, but I'm glad that I didn't.

Being a 6 hour drive away from family is a bit hard, but I still get back now and again to catch up with everyone and with phone and email it's easy to keep in touch.

I found it took a while to settle in and get to know people and the area, but it helped that my god-father's daughter lives here, so I did have someone to help introduce me around.

I've found that living in a relatively small village has also helped - I've now got involved with alot (too much!) in local organisations and clubs and can't go out without bumping into someone I know. All in a good experience and I wouldn't change anything.

Go for it!

Sponsored Links
Is the friendship strong enough to endure being constantly under each others feet?
I think so. Its a female friend. But points taken.

I quite like the idea of living by the sea.

She has said to me in the past, that she'd like to buy or rent property with me - said she wouldnt trust anyone else. I have to say, I feel the same. But its a big step - moving across the country away from my friends here. I will have to have a long think about it, which will include considering the price of fuel! :(

For heaven's sake. I went hitch-hiking round Oz when I was 16 for 2 years and you are panicking about moving round the corner and taking your job with you? What are you asking us for? You'll be asking if you can go to the toilet next. :rolleyes:

Ooh. Ooh. I need a wee.

Can I go? Can I? Can I can I can I can I can I can I can I? :eek:

Unfortunately she isn't responding to my efforts to communicate with her tonight, so I shall have a serious chat with her tomorrow!!!
That's coz she's reading this and thinking "sh*t I never really meant it!"

Go for it. Just don't make your friend the reason for doing it!!! Otherwise if things go pear-shaped you'll feel like a wally for moving there just for her.

So, if the place you're thinking of moving to is a s**t-hole in the a***-end of nowhere, or if you're not too happy about the role your company will put you in, then rethink it.

I moved to an unfamiliar town when I was 21, didn't know anyone but within a couple of months I had made new friends, got a girlfriend etc. I did the same again when I was 27!!! Loved it both times! I'm thinking that I might even try a different country.

If nothing else, it's fun to learn a whole new place. Everywhere is new, it feels like a minor achievement everytime you find a particular amenity or shop that you'd never noticed before.

Sponsored Links
Back