Fridge Freezer, Freezer and Washer. Garage electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The fuse box is located in the garage which is integral to the house. This is where a fridge freezer, under counter freezer and washed are located.

The garage power/sockets has its own fuse (32A) there are 2 double sockets on the opposite side of the garage and a double socket where these appliances are.

What is the best way for me to connect these 3 appliances. One cable goes into this double socket. I'm thinking just take a feed out of this to a new single socket right next to it? Will it need to be a fused spur?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
does every socket have a cable coming in and going out at the moment (i.e a Ring)

do you know what size cable it is ?

I am also wondering if ring or radial with 2.5mm or 4mm so no real answer as to regs, but only the washer is large load, so unlikely to be a problem, but pictures always good.

does every socket have a cable coming in and going out at the moment (i.e a Ring)

Attachments

• IMG-20200927-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20200927-WA0003.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG-20200927-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20200927-WA0000.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 264
Sponsored Links

The socket where the appliances are just has the one cable going into it. This comes straight from the fuse board.

Looks just about 2.5mm to me.

I think you need to run another cable really. 4mm ideally.

Or change Mcb to b20 or 25

Looks just about 2.5mm to me.
Can I use some 2.5 and extend to a new socket for the washer? Would this need to be fused? I didn't want to use an extension lead for any of the appliances.

I'm ok with the connecting of the cables etc just not sure on if it is ok to just extend from this socket.

Someone did mention it would be ok to use the double socket for all 3, have an extension/double adaptor for the fridge/freezer and freezer and the washer in the other. Not too keen on this though, unless it is safe.

Extension with fridge and fridge freezer
Much appreciated. Wasn't sure if that would be too much for the one socket. The washer only gets used twice a week during the day, and we are in the house at the time so can see how it is that way.

If anything is untoward I will see about getting an extra socket in, the fuse board is only couple metres away so can get an electrician to check the existing to see if can cope with a spur and put a new feed in if needs be.

How about installing a 2.5mm² cable between the two existing sockets? If both these sockets are served by the same 32A MCB this would then make a ring, and additional socket(s) could be inserted into the ring or (if only one or two) spurred from the existing sockets and/or the origin of the circuit.

How about installing a 2.5mm² cable between the two existing sockets? If both these sockets are served by the same 32A MCB this would then make a ring, and additional socket(s) could be inserted into the ring or (if only one or two) spurred from the existing sockets and/or the origin of the circuit.

All 3 of the sockets on the rough drawing are served by the same 32A. How do you mean by between 2 existing as they are other side of the garage. Hopefully the drawing show what I mean.

Attachments

• IMG_20200927_212601.jpg
    IMG_20200927_212601.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 233
That is a shame. Earlier posts implied that the sockets were completely separated. You can still convert to a ring by bringing a cable from the last socket back to the breaker on the distribution board. BTW, does the middle socket in your diagram have 2 cables in it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back