Fridge freezing up and always running - confirmation of diag

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

I have an old fridge which is always running and is frosting up at the back. My thinking is that it is the thermostat? Does anyone agree with me?

The next question is, do you know if I can replace it with any thermostat, or must it be the same model as the one already in place? It seems that a new one will be about £70 and I don't want to take the risk. The fridge is so old, i might be tempted to put my hands in my pocket for a new one... although would much rather fix it.

Al

Sponsored Links
I agree with you - especially if you can't hear a click when the dial is turned.
If you remove the stat and take it to a white goods repairer they'll likely fix you up with something that will do.
John :)

Dear All,

I am getting a little confused. The thermostat on my unit is a K57. But when I phone a parts supplier they are telling me that a K59 will be fine. However, one guy (who has a very good price for the K57) said that they are different and I should go for the K59. They look they same, they have the same attachments and it will fit into the housing on the fridge, so I do not know what to do.

Any tips?

Al

Seriously I doubt if you would notice the difference, but if it was mine I would go with the original K57.
The manufacturers are the ones to know :p

Sponsored Links
but do you know what the differences are? one is a 'cut in' and the other is a 'constant differential'.... i am clueless ;)

Cheers

Al

Thee and me both, Al - but a thermostat is a thermostat at the end of the day, and the only differences will be the hysteresis (thats the range of temperatures where the stat cuts out, and then back in again) and the rate at which it switches - the latter being more important for an auto defrost system, I guess.
Personally I think you could use either one - it will do the same job - so its now down to price and availability.
You could maybe try espares......not always the cheapest but quick to deliver.

Given its an old fridge I would suspect the main compressor is becoming weak and so it then continually runs as the evaporator plate temp is insufficient to switch the stat off thus it then build's up a large amount of ice on the back wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back