fridge light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone suggest a suitable light fitting for a small commercial walk in fridge,not sure if fluorescent lighting is suitable but would be preferred
the fridge measures about 12ft by 12ft,at present its fitted with a small gls bulkhead which is not up to the job

Sponsored Links
fit more glass bulkheads with brighter lamps

thye are used because they dont mind the cold and condensation wont rust them.

flourescent in fridge is dangerous

Just a standard non-corrosive (also known as vapour proof) fluorescent fitting. I would have though a 4' fitting should be enough.

Click Here(This is a 5' but you get the idea)

HTH

Rob

Sponsored Links
Fluorescents take a minute or so to reach full brightness when cold - i suspect people using the fridge will need instant light, by the time it has reached full brightness they will be leaving the fridge.

And theres a safety issue - though im sure with the relevant IP rating this would be negated.

However, all the small walk-in fridge/coldrooms i have ever seen have had GLS bulkheads with standard tungsten lamps (except at morrisons in their HUUUGE freezer room/warehouse). Its the best way.

For some reason the lamps dont last very long in our fridge though, good brand, phillips, 60w. Never left on for long periods. We have a backup supply in case :rolleyes:

Crafty, it could be the vibrations from the fridge motor that is causing you to have reduced lamp life. Try a rough service lamp and see if this lasts any longer.

RF Lighting said:
Crafty, it could be the vibrations from the fridge motor that is causing you to have reduced lamp life. Try a rough service lamp and see if this lasts any longer.
Our coldroom is about 7 foot by 7 foot and just under 6 foot tall (its in a cellar, low ceiling). The control panel is next to the door at the front. The light is on the back of the control panel (though the insulated wall is solid apart from the wire hole for the light). The compressor is outside, about 30 feet away, mounted on a brick wall. The internal fan unit is mounted on the ceiling at the back of the coldroom. I suppose some vibration could pass through the bodywork form the fan unit, but I cant see this affecting lamp life considerably :eek: :idea: Then again, 24/7 slight vibration could pose an issue. I will try your suggestion of a rough service lamp next time we run out of them :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back