Friedland Door Bell Chime - Adding a 2nd Chime Box?

Sponsored Links
Great stuff!

OK 2 more questions and then I should be done pestering! ;)

Do you recommend any 18v Transformers for my situation?

Would an increased transformer interfere with the illuminated Door Bell Press? (it is a Friedland D534W 'Lightspot' - apparently 8v ?)

Try connecting the temporary wire to your new chime directly to the existing bell wire and do not connect it to your old chime to prove your new wiring is connected to the right terminals, and also that one chime works fine but having two together overloads the transformer.

Connected it up as above (with the 1st Bell Chime disconnected), and the new 2nd Bell Chime Ding-Donged lovely! (albeit a little medium volume).

So wiring and terminals all worked out - just the transformer that needs more oomph then? (will an 18v have any problems with my Illuminated Bell Push?)

Sponsored Links
Illuminated bell pushes rarely use MES lamps, they are often a small festoon type or a small wire ended bulb.
I've only ever dealt with 3 and they were mes so guessed that was typical.

This is the Bell Push I have

P_20201116_104936.jpg

P_20201116_105049.jpg

P_20201116_105140.jpg

It's just a dinky little bulb. The packaging says 8v, so I guess having an 18v transformer is gonna cause issues right?

Yup. I seem to remember replacing mine with an led and a series resistor, but I can't remember whether I finished the job or not. It's very fiddly.

Just seen this thread:

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/2-x-friedland-wired-chimes.395716/page-2
A lot depends on how much wire there is between transformer, button and existing chime.

Interesting thread!

So does that imply its Amps rather than Volts that's the problem? If so, a 8v 2amp would work right? (as mentioned by Flameport earlier?).

Or does it still need more Volts?

If so, would a 12v transformer not be enough oomph as then an LED would suffice for the illuminated Bell Push bulb right?

Interesting thread!

So does that imply its Amps rather than Volts that's the problem? If so, a 8v 2amp would work right? (as mentioned by Flameport earlier?).

Or does it still need more Volts?

If so, would a 12v transformer not be enough oomph as then an LED would suffice for the illuminated Bell Push bulb right?
Roughly how many metres of existing bellwire is there?

Wire lengths - OK so from the Transformer to the Bell Push is about 6m, Bell Push to 1st Bell Chime is about 5m, then another 13.5m to the 2nd Bell Chime, and then another 13m back to the Transformer. So 37.5 metre series circuit in total.

Both are currently connected and the 1st Bell Chime sounds fine. The new 2nd Bell Chime you can hear some movement but not enough to go Ding (or Dong!) :)

Update on the additional Door Bell Chime saga!

I swapped my 8v/1A Transformer for a multi Volt Transformer from Screwfix. If it put it on 12v or 16v the 1st Bell Chime ding dongs lovely, and there is even a low volume 'Ding' from the 2nd Bell Chime, but no 'Dong'. A step forward but not perfect.

If you press the Door Bell multiple times it will make the 2nd Bell Chime 'Ding Dong' a little.

So with the multi volt Transformer, the higher the voltage, the lower the amps (12v is at 0.7 amps), so is this a case of needing a 8v/2A Transformer, as suggested by Flameport earlier? That would also fix my illuminated bulb problem right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back