Friedland Door Bell Chime - Adding a 2nd Chime Box?

Update on the additional Door Bell Chime saga!

I swapped my 8v/1A Transformer for a multi Volt Transformer from Screwfix. If it put it on 12v or 16v the 1st Bell Chime ding dongs lovely, and there is even a low volume 'Ding' from the 2nd Bell Chime, but no 'Dong'. A step forward but not perfect.

If you press the Door Bell multiple times it will make the 2nd Bell Chime 'Ding Dong' a little.

So with the multi volt Transformer, the higher the voltage, the lower the amps (12v is at 0.7 amps), so is this a case of needing a 8v/2A Transformer, as suggested by Flameport earlier? That would also fix my illuminated bulb problem right?
did you try wiring in series on 16V?

Sponsored Links
did you try wiring in series on 16V?

It's wired as the 2nd Diagram I put up (so yes, Series) and yes the Transformer was set as 16v.

So it'll be 16v at roughly 0.5amp from the Transformer. I guess still not enough oomph (with the reduced amps?)?

It's wired as the 2nd Diagram I put up (so yes, Series) and yes the Transformer was set as 16v.

So it'll be 16v at roughly 0.5amp from the Transformer. I guess still not enough oomph (with the reduced amps?)?
So wired like this
bell2-jpg.211611
in series the original works ok but the new one doesn't? Surprising but maybe the new chime is made differently now.
Just to verify this could you disconnect one wire at the new chime and leave it loose so it's not touching anything and test to make sure the original doesn't chime.

Thanks Flameport, your advice has been really helpful.

So I have temp connected the 2nd Bell Chime from the terminals within the 1st Bell Chime, and I can now get the 2nd Chime to quietly Dong (it doesn't Ding!).

View attachment 211532

View attachment 211533

Am I right in saying that is due to the length of temp cable I am using (and a 2amp Transformer would fix that problem as you suggest?).

Of course, the above is superceeded by the fact I cannot get to the wiring that goes from the 1st Bell Chime to the Bell Push, as it is all buried under plaster and within the frame of my new Porch! Bugger!

Is there any way around this?

TIP: Wrap the wires round the terminals CLOCKWISE everytime, and the wires will stay in place better.

Sponsored Links
So wired like this
bell2-jpg.211611
in series the original works ok but the new one doesn't? Surprising but maybe the new chime is made differently now.
Just to verify this could you disconnect one wire at the new chime and leave it loose so it's not touching anything and test to make sure the original doesn't chime.

Yes it is wired as in that diagram, and as requested I disconnected one wire in the new 2nd Bell Chime and with that wire disconnected, the 1st Bell Chime doesn't work. Connect it back up again and the 1st Bell Chime works again.

Does that imply amps then? Or something else?

Do you need it to be a Ding Dong, I believe its the load of the clunky solenoid thats draining the power, not sure how you get A Ding without a Dong:), as the Dong is usually the Bolt springing back past its parked position, unless the bolts not powering out hard enough, i wonder if the spring can be tweaked without ruining the bell unit
Another option is fit batteries in and use the wiring to switch a small relay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back