From Bernard Green DIY gas work

Try answering the same questions every day and see how your patience wears. Frankly taking the pish keeps things interesting. :p

Especially with the likes of Bernard offering such stupid advice.

Sponsored Links
It is not ostensibly illegal to do gas work, if you are competent. But how does one prove competence? Bernardgreen is completely incompetent as proved by his advice yesterday on checking gas leaks with soapy solutions.

And are you telling me that Gas Safe Registered technicians in domestic work never ever use soapy solutions ?

Never in the 17 years ive been in the industry.

Question, what did you do to be a twart before the internet existed?

Sponsored Links
And some just think they're God's gift.

I think some people are just bitter that there isn't some sort of forum like this where that can puff their chests out and be clever at the same time.

This forum would implode without the likes of DanR, and a good few others bothering to give info out to the public

And some just think they're God's gift.

I think some people are just bitter that there isn't some sort of forum like this where that can puff their chests out and be clever at the same time.

This forum would implode without the likes of DanR, and a good few others bothering to give info out to the public
Thanks for the kind words mate. I'm sure Dan is well chuffed too!

I've had an unused "open" cooker bayonet fitting in my house since I moved here in 1992. Never touched it. Next time I get a RGI here , should I get him to cap it off ?

You should point it out to him and he will advise accordingly.

RGIs have a 'duty of care', they are responsible (and ultimately liable) for any gas installation or appliance that they inspect and approve for use by others. It is for this reason that they take extra care and attention and are diligent and the regs are followed, to the letter.

If the occupant of a property tampers with a gas appliance/installation or ignores a suspect issue or fault and this leads to an 'incident', the legal consequences are *likely* to be much less serious than for an RGI who has caused such an incident, through negligence.

In summary: if your neck is on the block, you're going to make damn sure you do the right things, and do them right!

I won't ask if I can just put a 15mm compression blanking cap on the pipe with a bit of Boss White or ptfe tape for good measure then.......
Back in the old days when we had gas pokers to light our fires (if we were lucky) did they have some sort of safety coupling?
Back in the early 60's we had an electrician to fit the only 13 amp socket in the house and it involved undoing the cooker supply pipe and I distinctly remember him testing for leaks with his fag lighter. So as Simond says , I am lucky to be alive

So as Simond says , I am lucky to be alive

Well... not quite.
All sensible people are aware that the world is full of hazards, threats and risks.
Very few of them will lead to injury, death and/or destruction. Those that do, will (should) be investigated and Liabilty levied where it is due.
Just imagine the thousands of "at risk" installations there are out there, that haven't had "competent" eyes clapped on them yet :eek:

I won't ask if I can just put a 15mm compression blanking cap on the pipe with a bit of Boss White or ptfe tape for good measure then.......
Back in the old days when we had gas pokers to light our fires (if we were lucky) did they have some sort of safety coupling?
Back in the early 60's we had an electrician to fit the only 13 amp socket in the house and it involved undoing the cooker supply pipe and I distinctly remember him testing for leaks with his fag lighter. So as Simond says , I am lucky to be alive

So based on that theory you're saying that its OK not to wear a seat belt just because your still alive having been on the road for X years..............?

So based on that theory you're saying that its OK not to wear a seat belt just because your still alive having been on the road for X years..............?
Point I was trying to make is that I am lucky to have survived dangerous gas work. And I have worn my seat belt since 1974 having written off a car the previous year. I learn from my mistakes.... I do recall removing a cooker connector and fitting an iron blanking plug in a flat I sold in 1988 though.

Maybe if posters didn't keep exclaiming they expect to be ripped off by a RGI all the time, people wouldn't take the p**s so much, can someone remind me why I bother to go through ACS every 5 years and pay Gassafe every year and pay for a FGA every year and carry round LDF and a manometer and a multimeter and van to carry it all in and pay for public liability insurance and and and and and and and and, oh I know, so I can tell someone how to do it themselves without any proper tools whatsoever most likely risking putting innocent others at risk as well. NOA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back