Front door always leaves wet patches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve lived in my property for years and due to financial difficulties I haven’t managed to sought a carpet for my doorway/stairs! I know have carpet and laminate which I’m slowly working on fitting but my concern is;

My front door leaves wet patches especially when the weather is really bad!

I live in a council house and I have had them out to investigate a few years ago and they said it was due to condensation! He chucked a bucket of water at the door and nothing came through!

I’m wanting to sort this issue out I have draught issues and the damp floor! I don’t have my heating on full all the time so the area is always cold! Which the draught doesn’t help either causing it to be really cold!

can someone please help me understand what the issue is and how I can possibly address this with the correct engineers so I’m not getting this that the other/ we don’t know why it’s doing this!
Attached photos from today and a old picture from when the weather has been bad!

Recent
DD775054-D51F-44F2-BC08-B1FC57E175D0.jpeg
412B914E-9554-4095-A97C-F2FB70F8E6CE.jpeg

Old picture - bad weather below
4380C25D-5699-4003-9793-EB2B13E8C7BE.jpeg
E2F6C5AD-0D28-4F4B-90A1-D0B29B394519.jpeg

Attachments

• 3E40D563-33C4-453F-BFE7-3BB84C9252C2.jpeg
    3E40D563-33C4-453F-BFE7-3BB84C9252C2.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 155
Sponsored Links
Not sure which way is up, but I think rain is getting in from above. Are the walls wooden planks?

Or you might just need a weatherboard.

door-weatherboard.jpg

Stand back and take some wider pics, floor to ceiling, and outside, including any porch, and up to the gutters, including any plumbing or downpipes.

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/weatherboard.htm

Sponsored Links
I saw the title of this post and thought it was a double entendre mumsnet post!

Check out JohnD’s schematic diagram.
There’s a strong possibility that water is bleaching in under the ‘base of door frame’ or threshold and all it needs is a layer of silicone sealant.
The door should have some kind of weatherboard too.
Lets have a pic of the outside please, at threshold level.
John :)

Another possibility is that if there is a "seal" of some sort on the bottom of the door, it may be blocked up with rubbish / dust / dirt? or the neoprene seal may [if it exists] be torn or damaged?

Second picture.....see where the brass threshold touches the concrete step?
There must be a silicone seal between the two.
First pic....that weather board (brass strip) is an apology for what it’s required to do.....a proper timber weatherboard would cast rain away from the threshold.

Second picture.....see where the brass threshold touches the concrete step?
There must be a silicone seal between the two.
First pic....that weather board (brass strip) is an apology for what it’s required to do.....a proper timber weatherboard would cast rain away from the threshold.
Ok thank you I will mention that so I’m guessing the water is getting in from either the sides or under the outer threshold

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back