front door, broken rubber seal and bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First of all, I am not good with door terms, please bear with me.

I have a problem with my front door frame. the whole frame is intact but the bar (threshold?) on the rubber seal (gasket?) is broken because of kids stepping on it. I have attached the photos.

I have been to Wickes and B&Q but cannot find the bar I am looking for. I contacted a door doctor in my area and he said the whole door frame needs to be replaced.

Can you please advise me as to what to do? What is the name of this part of the door? Do you know anywhere where I can purchase this? How can I know which gasket is the right one? Sorry, I am completely alien to DIY.

Looking forward to your replies,

Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 137
Sponsored Links
Any idea what to do David? Were you able to look at the images?

On the face of it it looks as though the 'drip strip' or 'weather bar' is the bit that's broken, if so then easily obtainable and relatively inexpensive on ebay, just Google pvc door drip strip.

If the threshold itself is broken, that's the frame itself then it could well mean a new door, can't tell from the photos while the door is shut, a close up photo with the door open would be nice, you can still buy an aluminium cover that would hide such damage but for the life of me can't remember which website I've seen them, think Gazman linked me to it once, what you will have to bare in mind is that if the plastic threshold is cracked and missing then they'll be nothing for the rubber gasket seal to clip into, I believe the aluminium strip does not accommodate for the rubber

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much. Here is the image when the door is open.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 114
I have taken some new images from
a different angle. Thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 108
OMG!!! OK what I thought was a drip strip which are fixed to the door you actually have what looks like some quadrant beading glued to the bottom of the frame trying to cover the missing plastic, I can understand why a door doctor recommended replacement, it's easy spending someone else's money and I'd be interested what the repair cost would be from the firm DH linked to but I'd cut your losses and put it towards a new door, how old are the kids, can they contribute.............seeing as they bust it? (y)

i think the images doesnt really show the prob clearly. The damaged area is part of the frame, yes! But it is not attached to the frame. The rubber (the damaged black thing on the images) can be easily removed from where it sits. And the white beading requires replacement. Because it is also not attached to the frame itself. Its just matter of pulling it off.

What I was hoping is to remove the black rubber. Clean the area. Insert a new rubber and and then use a silicone to attach a new plastic beading on the top of the rubber. How does that sound? :(

hi,

sounds good, but before is better to reconstruct the missing pvc plastic, with a specific product (Arexons?)

yes that looks like a 13mm quadrant glued on the bottom of the frame and you could replace it , but my concern is why is it there? I notice the door doesn't have a drip bar , and i'd be inclined to put a drip bar on the door and not put the quadrant back ( as its increasing the height of the threshold , and will get get broken again...). I'm guessing the quadrant was put there originally to stop water ingress , which probably arose from the lack of drip bar in the first place. As for the gasket there is plenty of types available on ebay and the likes but its determining which one you need.

As for covering the area where the old quadrant is , once you have it off , you should be able to get a silver or gold aluminium threshold strip, they used to be standard on the doors we used to buy , but seem to be left off these days

Pretty sure from the photos that the quadrant part is actually what's holding the seal. In that case it should be possible to remove the length and find something that performs a similar function?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back