Frothy rainwater coming from new felt roof (?!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a new felt roof on my loft conversion, it's been up there almost four months now.
I've noticed that the rainwater that runs off is frothy, and after checking the water butts it is still very filthy too.
After the rainfalls of the past few weeks I would have thought that any bitumen remains would have cleared off by now.

Is this normal with new felts, or should I be worried?
I can't actually see the surface without climbing on the top of the roof, which I'm reluctant to do without good reason.

Sponsored Links
are you serious!?

a roof will be filthy within a week just from the rubbish in the air, never mind all the bird muck etc.

do you really examine your roof water run-off that anally, or is this a wind-up?

I'm very serious.
I've got 4 water butts, 2 at front and two at the back of the house. I filter the rainwater (through used Britta cartridges) and use it all over the house (and the car). It is very-very soft, if you spray your conservatory plants for example, it leaves no streaks on the glass behind ;)

Right after the new flat roof of the loft conversion, the water is very filthy and frothy. Unusable.
Is this normal?

Now I've heard it all! Anyway, what was the previous roof construction, when the water was 'clean' ?

Sponsored Links
Deluks said:
Now I've heard it all! Anyway, what was the previous roof construction, when the water was 'clean' ?
Roof tiles, concrete ones and 50 years old at that.
And yes, it was clean (transparent - if it was really clean I wouldn't have to filter it before use)

I'm thinking that there is bitumen residue up there, that's how the water looks and smells.

Surely others must have noticed this :eek:

Maybe the roofer has silver painted the roof and its a bit of silver/white'ish top residue or something?

Weird :confused:

Yes, that's what they've said - that it's got the silver paint on top.
I've never seen it because I'd need to risk life and limb to climb all the way up there..

Is it normal then for the silver paint to ooze residue?

If so, does it eventually stop? :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back