Frozen condensate pipe....

Trace heating is all very well but if it is cold enough the stack will freeze too.

Whatever happened to the development of the idea of the condensate being released through the flue as a mist?
That one seems to have gone quiet though it seemed like a good idea.

thats why i have made the wire long enough to heat the stack too.

Sponsored Links
I think there was a boiler on the market that used the flue to disperse the condensate ?? can't remember the make ?? do not think it proved particuly succesful ??

As the condensate pipe is part of the flue on steamers I have never been a fan of connecting it to internal drainage ?? if i can help it , had a problem ounce with one .

Servotech";p="1731985 said:
I can't help feeling that the worlds top scientists need a greater problem to think about...

You can take it from me that saving the world that we live in is pretty high up on scientists list of things to concentrate on!
P.S. I have a formal qualification in building science so I do know what I'm talking about.

I'm afraid that I'm far too old to be impressed by formal qualifications. I am impressed when I see common sense and the ability to think away from the official line. I would suggest that they use their massive qualifications to address the issue of population growth and deforestation rather than the minutia of releasing a small amount of carbonic acid into the drainage system over releasing it to the atmosphere.

I think there was a boiler on the market that used the flue to disperse the condensate ?? can't remember the make ?? do not think it proved particuly succesful ??

As the condensate pipe is part of the flue on steamers I have never been a fan of connecting it to internal drainage ?? if i can help it , had a problem ounce with one .
vissieman i think ;)

Sponsored Links

vissieman i think ;)

atmos i think ;)

rather than the minutia of releasing a small amount of carbonic acid into the drainage system over releasing it to the atmosphere.[/quote]

A small amount from one condensing boiler yes!
When you add up condensate from the billions of condensing boilers installed around the world all discharging into the waste/earth it no longer is a small amount!

Look, all I'm saying is the goody goody image of a modern condensing boiler may turn out to be quite evil in the end.

Look, all I'm saying is the goody goody image of a modern condensing boiler may turn out to be quite evil in the end.

But the carbonic acid is still produced... just as Carbon Dioxide is produced, which will combine with rain and form carbonic acid and produce acid rain. The Scandinavians attributed the production of the acid rain that killed some of their forrests to our power stations back in the seventies...

Far too many clever monkeys see Carbon Dioxide as the holy grail of environmentalism disregarding the fact that not only is the life expectancy of most high efficiency products is shorter and will need more parts which will have been hauled from other countries...

But the carbonic acid is still produced... just as Carbon Dioxide is produced, which will combine with rain and form carbonic acid and produce acid rain. The Scandinavians attributed the production of the acid rain that killed some of their forrests to our power stations back in the seventies...

Far too many clever monkeys see Carbon Dioxide as the holy grail of environmentalism disregarding the fact that not only is the life expectancy of most high efficiency products is shorter and will need more parts which will have been hauled from other countries...

In a roundabout way we're both saying the same thing (I think) :LOL:

I've just spotted a trace heater on ebay that looks like it's designed specifically for condensing boilers. If you search ebay for 'trace heater' you'll find it.

I've had a condensing boiler for 18 years and the condensate pipe has never frozen.

It is inside the house for most of it's run and passes through the wall below the level of the drain cover. I don't like outside pipes having lived in pre war houses for most of my life. So I've plumbed everything so I don't have any except for the part that goes to the drain and those are below ground level.

It would be possibe to fit trace heating to the pipe of the kind designed to stop freezing I would have thought as a last resort.

Get your plumber to put one of the new low voltage thermostatically controlled wires around the external pipe and double lag it. They only work if below freezing and mine survived minus 11c last night.
Regards Redders

Does anyone know why we do this in this country? Dont plumbers know that we are going to have freezing weather, and there is a likelihood of condensate freezing if it isnt adequately run off? why do we have a small pipes? The British regs allow you too much freedom to make mistakes, the guidelines:

http://www.atmos.uk.com/core_files/productDoc(102).pdf

Say you can run off the condensate into rainwater and or waste pipes, which would mean we could avoid freezing condensate pipe which then end up ruining our homes and boilers. Seems like such a simple thing to do!

IDIOTS!

Does anyone know why we do this in this country? Dont plumbers know that we are going to have freezing weather, and there is a likelihood of condensate freezing if it isnt adequately run off? why do we have a small pipes? The British regs allow you too much freedom to make mistakes, the guidelines:

http://www.atmos.uk.com/core_files/productDoc(102).pdf

Say you can run off the condensate into rainwater and or waste pipes, which would mean we could avoid freezing condensate pipe which then end up ruining our homes and boilers. Seems like such a simple thing to do!

Is that all you post about?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back