Frozen condensate pipe....

Does anyone know why we do this in this country? Dont plumbers know that we are going to have freezing weather, and there is a likelihood of condensate freezing if it isnt adequately run off? why do we have a small pipes? The British regs allow you too much freedom to make mistakes, the guidelines:

http://www.atmos.uk.com/core_files/productDoc(102).pdf

Say you can run off the condensate into rainwater and or waste pipes, which would mean we could avoid freezing condensate pipe which then end up ruining our homes and boilers. Seems like such a simple thing to do!

IDIOTS!

:LOL: This He or She....or something, knows nothing about condensates except some of what they read about, NOT ALL!

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys, I,m new to the site.

A long term solution for the problems you are having with frozen condensation pipes is to fit a self regulating heating cable from ************
Just wrap it around the pipe, holding it on with aluminium tape to spread the heat, or just cable tie it on. Wire it in to a protected fused spur and then lag the lot.

Switch it on and leave it.

It will only come on when the pipe temp drops below 2 or 3 degrees C, heats up and then turns itself off again when it reaches 12 to 13 degrees C.

They have the same product which will sit inside the pipe and is totally safe.

I hope this helps

Mate, welcome to the site. This is an old thread and the topic has been covered at length. Trace heating elements have been around for years.

i think its just shameless advertising. anyway trace heaters are unessesary if the condense is fitted properly. I guess why BG need so many :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I think that the Condensate pipe has now Thawed out!! :LOL: :LOL:

I can sort that out for you...

83f26e819253cd6e88033f82cdad37bc.jpg
:mrgreen:

mickyg";p="2077574 said:
i think its just shameless advertising. anyway trace heaters are unessesary if the condense is fitted properly. I guess why BG need so many :LOL:[/quote

Agreed, they aren't fitted correctly that's why we have problems. Go figure!

ricojames13";p="2077988 said:
i think its just shameless advertising. anyway trace heaters are unessesary if the condense is fitted properly. I guess why BG need so many :LOL:[/quote

when its minus 17 for a week straight in aberdeen or something, and rainwater and soil stacks themselves are freezing, and internal pipework in lofts and behind kitchens are freezing, even the bashers cannot blame bg.

with the weather we have been having the last 2 winters, 'fitted correctly' is no longer all thats required.

hansthebear";p="2164362 said:

when its minus 17 for a week straight in aberdeen or something, and rainwater and soil stacks themselves are freezing, and internal pipework in lofts and behind kitchens are freezing, even the bashers cannot blame bg.

with the weather we have been having the last 2 winters, 'fitted correctly' is no longer all thats required.

I agree, 4 in pipe can freeze.

Sorry for renewing this old thread but.. was shocked last night to find my condensate outlet had frozen. I'm in South Wales and it's been below 0 for a few days now. Last night my thermostat on window sill (so surely a little warmer than ambient) got down to -7. I don't think this is a problem limited to the highlands....

I appreciate that a trace heater will solve the problem but if there is a more elegant solution i.e. fitting the waste pipe correctly then it would be great to know but from what i've seen it is correct. It's a 32mm pipe that drops to the ground (almost) indoors then through a cavity wall to a floor grate outside. No reverse slopes.... I'm thinking spraying with pu foam insulation (very ugly but I've got some around and can be cut off easily). Do I need to get someone in to install a larger pipe (40mm)?

If it makes any difference it's a ferolli Optimax that dumps water mostly instead of just dripping....

Thanks in advance!

The best route if at all possible is into an internal drain - soil stack or washing machine trap or sink waste. Only run it outside if there is no other way.

If these's no other way.... just ensure it's lagged very, very well...?

Read some useful posts http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/newforum/comments.php?DiscussionID=5147&page=1 here...

Main points I gleamed form there is larger bore doesn't always help (additional air in pipe can speed up freezing) and a 'T' (with removable cap) junction where it disposes into grate out side gives a good spot to thaw out with hot water.

Thanks.

Kool, not a solution but a massive improvement, guess it also allows you to run in to a bucket to keep the boiler going in an emergancy....

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back