Frustrated with Double Glazed Units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been replacing some blown Dg units using several different local suppliers and not found one yet that can manufacture them with both sheets of glass sufficiently in line to support them on one packer.
Some have been as much as 6mm overlap which Ive take back but the ones I am in the middle of doing now are 1.8m x1.0 m fixed picture windows which take some transporting so am I just unlucky or is this the norm and if the latter how do you get around it?
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
Its the way they are stacked in the racks right after they've been sealed and still soft and it allows for slippage, proper glass racks or stillages have the base 90 degrees to the upright
I laugh (metaphorically) when I read stuff like this. Not laughing at you, not disbelieving your comment. What I can't get my head around is you think even a sh1te company would ensure they have a rack that prevents this. #GetTheBasicsRightForFecksSake

You'd be surprised how many don't, even getting loaded straight into a van right after being sealed and 99.9% of vans don't have the 90 degree base, ask @ronniecabers how his racks are made

Sponsored Links
You'd be surprised how many don't, even getting loaded straight into a van right after being sealed and 99.9% of vans don't have the 90 degree base, ask @ronniecabers how his racks are made
Some places its just inaccurate cutting , one I had done the one sheet was 5mm bigger both way. The last glass place told me to make a rack with a slope leaning back from 90° to transport them so I looked it up and did it at 4° . So with this heat could they slip back square on the packing or will the sealer have fully gone off.

Attachments

• C4610A91-AA57-4A66-9F5D-BF1DAA49AD48.jpeg
    C4610A91-AA57-4A66-9F5D-BF1DAA49AD48.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 50
It's a mixture of lots of things I'm afraid, especially big sealed unit plants.
Poor stacking immediately after being sealed ( should as upright as possible on a surface they won't stick to, both panes supported )
Poor glass cutting, Poor manufacturing technique and basically no quality control.
Big lines are fully automated and just churned out and honestly don't think any of them have a QC at each stage or the end of line

There is a marked difference in quality of the units I've removed.
They are from the late 90's, early 2000's and perfectly square with the foil edge tape applied, picture perfect.
The biggest problem I'm having is finding wedge and E gasket, Ive been round local suppliers, had sample packs, but none are close. Ive found similar from extrusion manufacturers but inly sell in 150m tubes

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back