Fumes in house and excessive damp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve just spoken to a lawyer.
Only the Queen can override building regulations.

so when you’ve spoken to her give us a buzz

Sponsored Links
I’ve just spoken to a lawyer.
Only the Queen can override building regulations.

so when you’ve spoken to her give us a buzz

And there it is. Complete and utter wind up.

So you've spoken in the last half hour to your head of building control friend, who seems to have quoted old building regs and now your lawyer as well? You're on solid ground, go for it.

Yes products of combustion are deadly.
That’s why I was in a and e for over 4 hours the other day. Blood abnormal.
Pungent fumes in bedroom.
If you were in Hospital and mentioned your concerns for fumes from the boiler, they would have checked your blood for Carboxhaemoglobin, if you had raised levels they would by law contact the HSE who would have carried out a complete investigation immediately and you would not have been allowed home until it was completed,so it is not the boiler, or any other gas appliance, if you are telling the truth

The building regulations act is 1984. the first regulations 1985.
This is the act of parliament that started the proper enforcement of building construction in the uk.
Amendments of the regulations have been made and the latest version is much more recent.
However the act still stands.
Approved documents are part of the building regulations and the guidance must be followed to ensure the health and safety of individuals in particular in dwellings.

I’m getting a proper response but that’s what it is

Sponsored Links
I went to A&E and had a full blood test over 25 different things that they looked at.
My carboxyhaemoglobin level was high and on the limit for a normal non-smoker.
They could tell that I have been exposed to something.
The results were abnormal but no immediate danger.
I was kept under observation for four hours and then eventually left to go at about 11 pm.
Does that answer your question

I told them that Cadent had isolated the gas that day before I went and so that they were happy for me to return home as the source of the intoxication had been cut off.
It was the cadent guy who said I must go to hospital so I did.

I told them that Cadent had isolated the gas that day before I went and so that they were happy for me to return home as the source of the intoxication had been cut off.
And how would anyone in A&E know what the source of intoxication was ?

He said that it’s quite possible for hot flu gas and water to re-enter the annual a section of the pipe and cause condensation in the pipe which will drip into the cavity and cause damp.
If he means the annular section of the flue (which is for incoming combustion air) which it sounds like, unless the outer pipe of the flue is leaking, the condensed water would not not get into the wall cavity. Vapour and any droplets would go into the boiler, through the burner and out the flue (central pipe). In any case AFAIK most flues are pretty similar (on mine the inner sticks out about 50mm beyond the annular inlet), and it's not usually a problem.

One thing - you've made lots of posts but it's often hard to know who you're replying to. If you use Quote or Multi-quote it would help.

I’ll summarise.
First lot of building regulations came out in 1965.
However they weren’t worth the paper they’re written on so they were amended and came out to parliament in 1984.
The full building regulations came out in 1985 which has been amended since then.
The building regulations consist of approved documents which are guidance and must be followed unless an alternative method which can be approved is followed.
Approval can be obtained by building inspector, building control or demonstrating conformance to international or British standards or in court.

The inspector also found a piece of brick supporting the flue. I’m wondering where the brick waste from the flue is now......... He said that there was no need for this as the flue internal is angled within the pipe. He suspects poor workmanship overall.
I went into the loft a few days ago and a lot of old pipe insulation fittings and general waste found under the insulation!

I only felt bad dizzy nausea and with headaches when the boiler had been on.
Spending the day outside or at someone else’s place no health issues.

And how would anyone in A&E know what the source of intoxication was ?

Carbon monoxide in the blood suggest fumes from combustion were involved and talking to the patient would be informative for the A&E staff about the origin of those fumes.

That said with Carbon monoxide involved a longer period of observations would be expected ( in pre Covid days )

Carbon monoxide in the blood suggest fumes from combustion were involved and talking to the patient would be informative for the A&E staff about the origin of those fumes.
And how did they no the "fumes" are not coming from a neighbours appliance ?

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Cadent checked next door.
I was there for quite a while under obs.
Only when the consultant was happy was I allowed to go.
Then GP assessment yesterday and next week follow up.

That’s weird because his CO meter which he waved about showed CO.

I’m not using this forum anymore too many ignorant plumbers.
Saying building regs and inspectors are wrong.

deadly advice provided on here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back