Fumes in house and excessive damp

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a new installation. Well 2 years ago.
The old was a simple system convection boiler.
I moved in 20 years ago.
The gas inspector came today. He said the system should be vented higher and further away as the vapour lingers.
Section 3.23 Document J
As gasguru asked - is the condensate system OK? That is a change from the replaced boiler, which didn't need it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
I will follow what the gas inspector says.
Not people who say regs are flawed and that it’s ok to have a weatherproof seal with a gap all around!
Having been in the construction industry and underground and power stations I spoke to a building consultant.
He said that it’s quite possible for hot flu gas and water to re-enter the annual a section of the pipe and cause condensation in the pipe which will drip into the cavity and cause damp.
If this happens over extended period of a few years it can cause serious issues in the house with wall ties and other things.
No matter how hard the house tries to vent itself if it’s been constantly dripping with water it’s not going to He said that it’s quite possible for hot flu gas and water to re-enter the Angela section of the pipe and cause condensation in the pipe which will drip into the cavity and cause damp.
If this happens over an extended period of a few years it can cause serious issues in the house with wall ties and other things.
No matter how much the house tries to vent if it’s been constantly dripped with water it’s not going to get better.

It’s not a replacement boiler it’s a brand-new boiler in a different location.

I’ve just spoken to a friend of mine who is head of building control in a particular London borough and this is exactly what he said. You can slate documents J as much as you like but this is his professional opinion.

‘The building regulations 1985 come under the umbrella of the building act 1984. The functional requirement of all the regulations is for the health and safety of people in and around the building. Approved Document J deals with heat producing appliances. Hpa's have to discharge the products of combustion to external air so as not to detriment people in and about the building. If your hpa does not do this it is a contravention of the building regulations and a criminal offence. You have had a lot of people looking at your hpa. I would ignore the cowboy installers. If you can show a contravention you will have a water tight case in court. Build a case for it yourself - you don't need a solicitor. Threaten them with it and I believe you will get a refund and possible compensation.‘

In the gas trade I last counted something like 60 documents to comply with...I think that says it all. So many contradictions and gaping holes.
Unless it is a particulary exposed site the lack of seal does not normally cause an issue, that is why the manufacturer does not insist on it.
The bricks are old and the one near the flue has clearly spalled, once the surface has gone they rapidly deteriorate...the rest of the pics look normal wear and tear.

Get the holes sealed, get the humidity under control. Is there a bathroom extractor OVER the bath (not stuck in a corner short cycling the sir), is there kitchen hob/cooker extractor to outside, is there background ventilation (there appears to be nothing over the windows). Then go from there...

Sponsored Links
Approved Document J deals with heat producing appliances.

Approved document J isn't the building regulations, it is guidance only. No one is disregarding things, document J says exactly that early on.

I already have a contravention.
The contravention is ‘flue not sealed to fabric of building’.

Thank you.
I’ve got an electrician coming next week to quote for a fan in kitchen.
Thanks to everyone.
I don’t mean to have a go anyone but I’ve been suffering health issues for a long time since April and it only happens when the boiler is on.

No they haven’t.
The rubber thing needs to provide an adequate seal.
The Inspector has said that a seal needs to seal. Seal means no gaps.
It is a contravention of the building regulations as the fabric of the building has been perforated and not made good which means that there is a chance of wildlife weather and fire ingress.
Apart from the gap all round he said that it is not secure either and can be disconnected.
The technical bulletin was issued on this awhile ago he said but many haven’t read it.
Thanks but I know what to do now.
I’ve had two installers say it’s a crap job.
The inspector says so.
Goodbye

I already have a contravention.
The contravention is ‘flue not sealed to fabric of building’.

Manufacturers installation manual for the appliance over rides what the gas regs say. I have glanced over some of the replies, not all but would accept the conclusion of ideal engineer over what the gas safe inspector says. As said before, if ideal are happy with annular gap around the flue be unsealed and weathering Seal being provided the internal and externally collar, that is all that is required. For the fumes to work their way into the room from external, your room would need to be at a much lower pressure than external atmosphere.

That’s why I don’t trust most tradespeople.
Shortcuts. If they ever turn up.
Please contact gas safe and tell them they are misleading the public and let us know how you get on.

The rubber thing needs to provide an adequate seal.

Irrespective of all the previous discussions get someone to seal this up for you!! It might prove to be the solution, who knows, it's a small job for a friend or handyman.

I can't believe you have had this issue for two years without just sorting it. You're going through all this grief and anxiety for the cost of an hours labour and a small bag of mortar mix.

Indeed, a bag of readymix quickset is always on the van.

The kitchen extractor MUST extract to the outside ie. not recirculate.

Have a look at positive pressure humidity control systems...the house is put under positive pressure and dry external air brought in constantly

I can’t believe I have had this issue for 2 years and only just found out about it. It is being done next week.
Excessive humidity and fumes only when boiler on. When off no fumes.
So because of the unsealed hole and reports of fumes it is an illegal installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back