funny guide on a (presumably electric!) boiler

Sponsored Links
I know my mothers combi boiler has pre-heated hot water option, however my convential boiler is 30 years old, so it seems combi boilers have a much reduced life, yes a combi boiler takes up half the space to the two seprate boilers I have, one for hot water and one for central heating, but I don't have a hot water tank and hot water is at mains pressure that has nothing to do with being a combi boiler.

Far more interesting is the modulating boiler, that is a huge advance, but the combi is nothing special.

I have however a problem understanding the modulating boiler, to control the water temperature using a wall thermostat so reducing losses makes sense in theory, but in practice how do you control multi rooms with a single thermostat? Using return water temperature works in heart of winter, but how do you stop a boiler running when rooms are warm enough?

OK EvoHome does seem to do the job, but only with opentherm boilers, soon it's not the boiler that matters but how it is controlled.

Theory says amount of water in the system should be as low as possible, so fan assisted radiators should be best, however unless you spend a fortune on building management you can't control them.

So every system is a compromise.

Sponsored Links
There are small water heaters, Webasto and Eberspacher are very popular, however to make them so small they are not so economic to run, in both cases they use an external calorifier, I would call it a heat exchanger, so the combi combines the water heater and calorifier together.

Advantage of combi, the installer can’t get it wrong.

Disadvantage of combi, needs a larger space, because combined you can’t build it around other items.

Comparing a hot water storage system to an instant system has nothing what so ever to do with combining the water heater and calorifier together, and also has nothing to do with modulating and non modulating boilers.

There are advantages with storing the hot water, main advantage is you can combine multi fuel water heaters, like solar, wood burning and oil, with separate calorifier you can with second pump actually store the water it heats, very common on narrow boats where the engine cooling water is also used for domestic hot water and central heating, this is not impossible with a combi but it is harder.

However I would assume the article is limited to house central heating, and does not include narrow boats.

We all tend to live in a bubble, and forget systems which we don’t deal with, I have had two houses, but heated with gas, one circulated air, the other circulated water, the former had electric only domestic hot water, the second at first used a hot coil, then an independent water heater was fitted for domestic hot water.

I thought I knew it all, until faced with my mothers’ house, it was the house not the central heating which was a problem, massive bay windows collected morning and evening heat from the sun, forget glass that does not let heat escape, and we needed glass that did not let heat in.

I tired all sorts to stop one room over heating in morning, and other over heating in the evening, it was sorted in the end, but it was the problems with this house that made me realise control is the main problem.

My first house all rooms were the same temperature, could hardly be anything else, circulating hot air all rooms have to be the same, OK there were dampers, but it was like the old song. The problem was at that time single glazed, so blowing hot air against cold windows was expensive.

Next house open plan, problem here was bedrooms became too hot.

So the main problem was design of the house, not design of the central heating, and this is the main point, one can’t compare methods of heating a house without also considering how the house is built.

We see all these reports on how this system is better, but it all depends on the house, so in a well insulated house moving the air around is likely good, but where insulation is poor we want hot spots where we sit.

So to write a report one how to heat a house would needs books, you could not squeeze it all into a couple of pages, yes I think the combi water heater was good, not because it did something which could not be done with separate units, but because it reduced what the installer could get wrong.

eric my point was the article had a 100% ratio of useless bumf to actual information, not that I disagreed with any of the content (as there wasn't any)

but the combi is nothing special.
The first combi began life as a means to get heating and hot water into homes where there was no space for a conventional system. Ideal for flats and flat roofed bungalows.

So every system is a compromise.
and a combi is a seriously compromised system to achieve a single burner that can operate as an instant hot water source (typically >30 kW) and a heat source for keeping the house warm (typically < 10 kW)

Again faceplam.jpg

it was a few minutes ago when I was outside watering the florist's flowers.

hope you used a watering can :LOL: this time :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: Is the cake shop still there ? the hamlet is nearly complete ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back