Furlough replacement scheme.

Sponsored Links
It's got to help a bit.

I know other countries like Germany are extending furlough, Im not sure if UK can afford that or not.

I fear for the hospitality and entertainment sectors...we could whole industry sectors disappearing.

Scary times for many

It's got to help a bit.

I know other countries like Germany are extending furlough, Im not sure if UK can afford that or not.

I fear for the hospitality and entertainment sectors...we could whole industry sectors disappearing.

Scary times for many

We can afford it a lot more than Germany that's for sure. They're financing it partly out of the EU budget which will be minus our contribution and with the knowledge that the 'PIGS' won't be paying any back, all that on the back of a 'currency' that doesn't even qualify as sovereign and has to raise money via bonds sold in London. Hmmmmm.

Scary times for many

I fear for everyone except epidemiologists, whole economies should not have been shut down, and the evidence to support that is slowly emerging.

Sponsored Links
I’m not sure affordability is the issue. We certainly have more flexibility from a currency and taxation point of view. Plus our labour laws encourage faster recovery.

I’m not sure affordability is the issue. We certainly have more flexibility from a currency and taxation point of view. Plus our labour laws encourage faster recovery.
R5L yesterday was saying that the money is not such a great thing for governments anywa , as the cost of borrowing is effectively negative, and pension funds (whose size utterly dwarf that of the covid liability so far) are clamouring for government bonds.
Sorry I can't be more specific with the time it came on.

Just heard from our accountant - looks like we will be able to claim under the scheme.
"All small and medium-sized enterprises will be eligible to access the scheme, but large businesses will be required to demonstrate that their business has been adversely affected by COVID-19, and the government has stated that it expects that large employers will not be making capital distributions (such as dividends) while using the scheme".
I think there is also similar help for the self employed too which should apply to a fair few on here. Nice one Rishi. (y)

Last edited:
and the government has stated that it expects that large employers will not be making capital distributions (such as dividends) while using the scheme
"expects"?

Oh look, a pink elephant has just floated by the window :LOL:

What
"expects"?

Oh look, a pink elephant has just floated by the window :LOL:
Make your mind up - wasn’t it you who was only the other day telling all about big businesses that were returning their furlough payments and asking me whether I was doing the same? Now you are saying that big businesses are not going to do what the government expects. Looks like you’ve changed your stance to suit your argument. Again. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
the government has stated that it expects that large employers will not be making capital distributions (such as dividends) while using the scheme".

France, Denmark etc took much more positive action right from the start.

"Companies based in tax havens cannot get bailouts, says French minister"

PARIS — France will not pay emergency cash to businesses based in fiscal paradises, Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire said today."

"If your headquarters is located in a tax haven, it is obvious that you will not be able to benefit from public aid," he said on France Info radio.

"If you have benefited from the state's cash flow, you cannot pay dividends and you cannot buy back shares," he added."

"If you have benefited from the state's cash flow, you cannot pay dividends and you cannot buy back shares," he added."

The Cummings government is much more sympathetic and gentle to its chums.

What
Make your mind up - wasn’t it you who was only the other day telling all about big businesses that were returning their furlough payments and asking me whether I was doing the same?
Indeed I did, but that was about wrongly claimed wages not paying dividends - do keep up!

Indeed I did, but that was about wrongly claimed wages not paying dividends - do keep up!
No, it wasn’t. What you said was "UK firms have voluntarily returned more than £215m to the government in furlough scheme payments they did not need or took in error."

“It's about not needing the money because they haven't actually been affected and admitting as such...”

No, it wasn’t. What you said was "UK firms have voluntarily returned more than £215m to the government in furlough scheme payments they did not need or took in error."

“It's about not needing the money because they haven't actually been affected and admitting as such...”
Which bit of the difference between taking payments for employee pay and paying out dividends do you not get?

It's pretty simple :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back