Return to work after furlough

Reaction score
Dystopia, a small island too close to Europe
Country
United Kingdom
Depending on how long the "lockdown" lasts, how will people who have been furloughed feel about returning to work ? I can imagine some can't wait to get back, while others may struggle , just like returning after a long holiday, and may not want to go back. Anyone on here who has been furloughed with an opinion ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm 63,early retirement was looking attractive before the stock market crash,hey oh such is life,so unless a redundancy package was offered work will have to be returned to.

I'm currently loving it.
Walking or running 5 miles a day.
Time to prepare and cook food, rather than whack packaged stuff in the oven.
Helps that my boys are off too, so they're loving the food as well.
Time to do things I want to, rather than no time to do things I have to.

I'm currently loving it.
Walking or running 5 miles a day.
Time to prepare and cook food, rather than whack packaged stuff in the oven.
Helps that my boys are off too, so they're loving the food as well.
Time to do things I want to, rather than no time to do things I have to.
How do you think returning to work will affect you?

How many of us knew what a furlough was until a couple of weeks ago?

How many of us knew what a furlough was until a couple of weeks ago?

During the mid 70's recession unemployment was high, having been laid off from a job I worked as a postman for about 6 months. Furlough's were a term used in the PO at that time for a set number of days off each year allowed outside holidays or sickness, with no explanation required. My old man spent most of his working life at the PO.
Funnily enough, when I read Alan Johnson's second book, much of it covered his time in Slough as a postman, and many of the names he quoted, fellow workers or union people were either neighbours or parents of school friends and it took me by surprise a little, I hadn't realised he'd spent that long In Slough or that we had so many mutual acquaintances .
I emailed him to compliment him on the book and he graciously replied sharing a few more anecdotes.
A lovely man and one of my favourite MP's. It's a shame he cut his political career short, had the potential to be a great leader.

During the mid 70's recession unemployment was high, having been laid off from a job I worked as a postman for about 6 months. Furlough's were a term used in the PO at that time for a set number of days off each year allowed outside holidays or sickness, with no explanation required. My old man spent most of his working life at the PO.
Funnily enough, when I read Alan Johnson's second book, much of it covered his time in Slough as a postman, and many of the names he quoted, fellow workers or union people were either neighbours or parents of school friends and it took me by surprise a little, I hadn't realised he'd spent that long In Slough or that we had so many mutual acquaintances .
I emailed him to compliment him on the book and he graciously replied sharing a few more anecdotes.
A lovely man and one of my favourite MP's. It's a shame he cut his political career short, had the potential to be a great leader.

I like Alan Johnson, his books are on my (very long) to-read list. Not all Labour people are bad - though this applies less and less as you come to the Blair years. He grew up in the 'sixties and was a budding beat-group player; another of my interests.

I think I've heard "furlough" mostly applied to the American army, especially in WW2. I read a lot of books. Norman Mailer comes to mind when I hear "furlough".

Never heard of the word before tbh :confused:

It's job description words that get bandied around nowa days

Ounce upon a day some one told u what they did for a living and u knew what it was

Today they tell u and u are none the wiser :confused:

I'm looking forward to going back. I'm semi-retired so only work 80 hours a month but it's the getting out the house and interacting with others which I think is important for mental well being. I'm enjoying being home at the moment but that's probably because I know I have a job to go to eventually.

Sponsored Links
Back