Furniture Paint Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a chest of draws from Made.com earlier in the year. Sadly, they have gone bust now, shame as they did some nice styles of furniture.

I am finding that the paint finish doesn't seem to have been treated.
We have a Neom diffuser on this piece of furniture. You fill the diffuser oil in the diffuser.
You can see from the image below, one drop of the oil has actually gone through the paint and through to the wood.

Can anyone tell me if there is anything that can be applied to the unit to protect the paint from this happening?
The details from the website said it is engineered wood with warm ecru finish. There is no further info on the paint.

IMG_1813.jpg

Drawers.jpg

Sponsored Links
I am only guessing... I think the finish is a water based paint. Water based paints become soft after contact with oils. Even the oils in your skin will, in time make the paint soft enough to peel off with your finger nail. Oil based paint will be far more durable but you will need to try to colour match the existing paint.

You can take a drawer to your local decorators' merchant to get them to scan the colour.

Regardless of how accurate the colour match is, it may look slightly different. That shouldn't be too noticeable though given that the top is in a different plane to the front and sides of the unit.

I am only guessing... I think the finish is a water based paint. Water based paints become soft after contact with oils. Even the oils in your skin will, in time make the paint soft enough to peel off with your finger nail. Oil based paint will be far more durable but you will need to try to colour match the existing paint.

You can take a drawer to your local decorators' merchant to get them to scan the colour.

Regardless of how accurate the colour match is, it may look slightly different. That shouldn't be too noticeable though given that the top is in a different plane to the front and sides of the unit.
Thanks for your post, that makes perfect sense to me and yes, I could easily take a drawer out and take it to a local decorator shop.
I take it there is not a clear finish I could apply to the top to save me re-painting the top bit?
I am not a paint expert so maybe that is a silly question.

Polyvine or rocktop

Two products you can look at

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your post, that makes perfect sense to me and yes, I could easily take a drawer out and take it to a local decorator shop.
I take it there is not a clear finish I could apply to the top to save me re-painting the top bit?
I am not a paint expert so maybe that is a silly question.

I don't think that simply applying a clear coat will rectify things.

As a test, wipe the area with a wet rag, if whilst wet the spot disappears, a waterbased primer may well suffice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back