Furniture restoration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A possible summer hobby.....

I have a couple of old chairs which are hard wood and timeless. The seating needs replacing - new covers, new stuffing? Is it fairly easy to do or would it be better to take them in do be done 'professionally'?

I also have a 1930 side table which needs attention. Can this be restored to it's prime condition if I make my best effort or would a french polisher be the best solution?

Any sensible thoughts welcome.

Sponsored Links
As you have out this in hobbies it would not be a hobby if you got someone else to do it.

I have a couple of old chairs which are hard wood and timeless. The seating needs replacing - new covers, new stuffing? Is it fairly easy to do or would it be better to take them in do be done 'professionally'?

I also have a 1930 side table which needs attention. Can this be restored to it's prime condition if I make my best effort or would a french polisher be the best solution?

Sounds like skilled refurbishment required , not really for someone starting out. I would try out on junk furniture first, which you can skip if it goes wrong then work up to things you want to keep.

Its really not that difficult , it depends on what condition they are in .
The old polish is easily removed using thinners or a propriety brand and then the old surface can be brought back to a good condition using elbow grease and sandpaper.
There are some very good furniture polishes on the market easy to apply and which give excellent finishes
If repairs are required that is a different matter and unless you have some experience it may be better to see a professional or alternatively buy a book on restoration.
One other point its easier to restore solid rather than veneered furniture.

Now about my knitting question !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!|

Sponsored Links
I did a night course on upholstery and french polishing. It's not difficult to do.

Was it an evening course? If so how long did it go on for (weeks) and was it worth doing?

It was a short evening course - about 6 weeks. We upholstered a chair from scratch including sponge padding and stuff - not a kitchen chair, a small armchair type of thing.
And the same for the polishing.

I loved it.

Thanks Joe. I might look for a short course before I have a go.

With all due respect to Joe it sounds like it was an upholstery course, this is a million miles away from furniture restoration.
Unless it was 6 continuous weeks ie 30 days, then you are only scratching the surface.
A course this long will cost you an arm and a leg.
Get a good book from the library and practise, learn by your mistakes and then if you are still enthusiastic splash out on courses and tools .

Yes, good point. I will check out some books, but this is beginning to look like an expensive exercise. If I have to pay out a fair amount on books,tools and courses, I think it will be either a labour of love or an estimate from a professional - unless I enjoy it to the extent of starting to search out old pieces and restoring as a hobby/sideline. Is there any money in that I wonder?

I've done longer courses in restoration, but that wasn't what he asked.
No there is no money in it. Most items are worth less restored than if you left them alone. Stabilisation is all they need - but that doesn't pay the rent.

I've done longer courses in restoration, but that wasn't what he asked.
No there is no money in it. Most items are worth less restored than if you left them alone. Stabilisation is all they need - but that doesn't pay the rent.

The thread was titled "furniture restoration" and the op wanted to know how to restore a 1930 table.

There is loads o money in it if you know what your doing.!
It paid for my villa in France. ;) ;) ;)

Not around our way. Never met anyone who made money doing it apart from my Dad in the 60's.

There is a market and I've done a bit in that field but what does seem popular is the shabby chic furnature. Can't say I'm too fond of it but the "raw marterials" such as old cabinets, chests of drawers and the like can often be picked up for nowt on freecycle. Downside of course is the space needed for working and storage.

Shabby Chic is the way to go - IF you can get a decent finish/look to it . A M8 of mine is a pro restorer , and as Joe says there ain`t no money in it now :cry: But he knocks out a few shabby chic things and pro rata they are worth doing . As to 30`s furniture - it might be sprayed with a varnish , not much you can do to it

Sponsored Links
Back