further oil burner issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted recently about Worcester Bosch boiler issue, and it turned out to be clogged filters from contaminated oil.
With all the filters changed and the nozzle changed, and biocide added to the oil supply, it ran ok for a couple of weeks before cutting out again. It cut out and would not start again.

I figured it would be another clogged filter or nozzle, so changed the in line filter and put in a new nozzle.

NB. At the time of changing filter and nozzle I noted there appeared to be some build up of gunk, but nothing like it had been.

Nevertheless, since I had the bits in anticipation of this happening I swapped them over.

But the boiler would not start.

When I replaced the nozzle I knocked the electrodes, so I swapped them (they are mono bloc electrodes with pre set gap between points).

So I replaced the elected bloc just in case.

The boiler will still not start.

I have done the usual checks (I know about). There does not appear to be any air in the supply line.

The burner will start, then purge. But there is no ignition.

I listened carefully and I could not hear the electrodes sparking.

I took the burner out and check the blast tube. It was wet with oil, which indicates to me that the oil was going through to the nozzle and atomising.

I do not know what would cause the electrodes not to spark and I cannot find a list of alternative explanations for this.

So, once again, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Remove the burner from the boiler. Remove the plug from the solenoid coil. Try starting the burner to watch the spark. If no spark t the electrode, check the connections of the HT leads at the block and also the transformer. If nothing obvious, then remove the control box, bridge the live feed to the transformer connection and switch on the burner. If no spark, then the transformer is goosed. If you have had fuel problems, you may find the burner has been cycling and overloaded the transformer. They are time rated at 33%.

Sponsored Links
Remove the burner from the boiler. Remove the plug from the solenoid coil. Try starting the burner to watch the spark. If no spark t the electrode, check the connections of the HT leads at the block and also the transformer. If nothing obvious, then remove the control box, bridge the live feed to the transformer connection and switch on the burner. If no spark, then the transformer is goosed. If you have had fuel problems, you may find the burner has been cycling and overloaded the transformer. They are time rated at 33%.

Ok, thanks for that. Those are all new steps for me because up to now I haven't touched the electrics. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back