fuse blows after installing timeswitch

No insulation is perfect so it will start cooling down and switch on again. If you are not in during the day it is better to time if off when you leave and on again shortly before you get back.
Even better to switch it off before the shower so there is less heat to escape in the mean time.

Sponsored Links
So if it loses the typical 20p worth of energy per day, how much do you think you will save by turning it on and off?

Pence.

What does the timer cost?

Untitled-1-13-830x442.jpg

https://www.phamnews.co.uk/erp-tightens-the-rules-for-cylinder-manufacturers/

So if it loses the typical 20p worth of energy per day, how much do you think you will save by turning it on and off?

My experience with a 200L version:
1 hour/day, 0600-0700. ~1,5KWh
1 hour twice a day, 0600-0700 & 1200-1300. ~2-2.5KWh
2 hours/day, 0600-1800. ~2KWh
8 hours/day, 0600-1400. ~3KWh
24 hours/day. 4-5KWh

This was in a non insulated workshop (Farm building) Winter time allow another 10-20%
so difference between 1.5 and 4 KWh is 2.5x20p=50p/day or £180/year

What does the timer cost?

Sponsored Links
This one will be to modern, high standards of insulation.

its white, brand new.

Your 200 cylinder would take over 3 hours to heat, so obviously heating it for 1 hour a day will not be enough.

Your 200 cylinder would take over 3 hours to heat, so obviously heating it for 1 hour a day will not be enough.
How much has it changed since june 2020?

according to the manufacturer standing heat loss would be 1.25 kwh/day at 65C, probably slightly higher due to loss on pipes but yeah, even assuming the cost of electricity will ramp up quite a bit in the next few years its likely not going to be a massive difference. the timer was around £30.

Are they less efficient than the old copper unlagged cylinders then?

Are they less efficient than the old copper unlagged cylinders then?
Apologies, thinking about size, I doubt it's as big as 600mm diameter and 1m high, allowing for insulation I'd guess it must be more like 100L.

How long do you think a 3kW heater takes, to heat 1 litre of cold water?

How long do you think a 3kW heater takes, to heat 1 litre of cold water?
It isn't cold, it's a well lagged cylinder and still warm from the previous day.

EDIT: But in the days we heated a 18x36" copper cylinder with an immersion heater it was plenty hot enough for a bath in 20-25 minutes. I don't know how long it would have taken to reach a full 65', that was only ever a mistake. I'll guess 90-120minutes

Last edited:
I've just timed the kettle with 1L, from cold tap @8' to clicking off 42 seconds, so 90' rise of 100L ~75 mins to boiling, I'll guess from that 55' rise ~60mins

Ahhhh, ye cannae tamper with the laws o' physics, Captain.

Last edited:
That timer is probably not designed to supply two elements, from what I can see - if you were to remove one of the two browns from the rightmost terminals and add a connector to make sure it is insulated, it would enable you to get one of the two elements working temporarily. If you can check and make sure it is the brown for the shorter element, even better, but...

so I've removed the wire on #1, the timer is on override always on. it shows to be powered and on from its LEDs without fuse issues,
but 3 hours later I can't tell much of a difference in terms of water temperature, I'm not sure if I'm missing something here. is the insulating connector necessary?
I'm trying plugging 1 back and removing 2, it might be too early to tell but doesn't seem to be doing much either..

say I wanted to temporarily reinstall the original untimed switch I posted earlier and have a shower, how would I go about wiring that correctly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back