Fuse Box Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been hearing recently that replacing a fuse box - from the old dose wire type to a breaker type now "Has" to be done by a registered electrician.

However if i was to do the work, what effects will this have upon hips ect ?

Thank you for any comments

Sponsored Links
It would not be in accordance with building regulations unless you notify your BCO in advance and pay for inspection and test; it would not be certificated; you can expect to be asked if electrical work has been carried out (and it will be obvious that it has been) but it will not be legal; a potential buyer will budget for the cost of inspection, testing and remedial work.

Dpending on your skill and access to testing equipment it is quite likely that the work will not be done to the correct standard and be be unsafe. An old installation usually has other faults and remedial work required

Clearly a replacement needs to be done correctly. However, replacing an old unit with a new one considerably improves safety or show if there is a problem with the wiring.

Main old boxes have wire fuses and do not have a RCD.

We should encourgae the replacement of all old consumer units with new.

The building regs are a tax imposed by the government and actually decrease safety.

Many DIYers are more than capable of replacing a consumer unit.

Sponsored Links

they may be able to physically take the old wires out, change the board, and put the wires back in.. but it's highly unlikely that they will be able to test the cables and calculate if the results are suitable for the new breakers and so on...

One problem is isolating the incoming supply safely.

Would you buy a second-hand house without resorting to getting a new consumer unit installed? - I bet probably not - no taking chances. :LOL: :LOL:

they may be able to physically take the old wires out, change the board, and put the wires back in.. but it's highly unlikely that they will be able to test the cables and calculate if the results are suitable for the new breakers and so on...
No but I also think it is highly unlikely that changing rewirable fuses for MCBs whether plug ins in the existing consumer unit or modern style breakers in a new consumer unit will leave things any less safee than they were before and RCD protection is always a good thing.

I'll go along with that - out of site out of mind seems to be the norm with electrics as long as every socket and light works most house buyers don't care.

Would you buy a second-hand house without resorting to getting a new consumer unit installed? - I bet probably not - no taking chances. :LOL: :LOL:

Lots of people buy houses without having it rewired or a new consumer unit fitted.

Quite right MDB.

Its usually they think about rewiring etc after the decoration, new carpets and flooring has been done and all the furniture is in. :rolleyes:

Oh yes, and expecting the new baby in 3 weeks time...

And some aren't, but the problem is they don't always realise that they aren't...

The trouble is that those that know they are not allowed to do this without reference to Building Control, and hence those potentially put off doing the work by the extra expense. Are those most likely to be capable of doing a safe job of it.

Conversely the complete idiot out for an entry in "Picture of the Week", will not know or care about having to notify Building Control.

Evidence from Australia and New Zealand showed that accidents decreased in New Zealand after their equivalent of part P was removed. In Australia where they continued there was a higher percentage of accidents. There is no evidence in the UK that the number of accidents have decreased post part P. The belief is that consumers delayed or put off work because of the cost or used in appropriate extensions/multi sockets.

Secondly most accident happen because of a faulty appliance or cable not due to fixed wiring. Prior to Part P, the Govt threw out some rather dubious numbers for the actual number of deaths per annum which could actually be directly attributed to fixed-wiring. After being rigorously challanged,they revised their figures downwards, but this still didn't take into account those lives lost thru' the misuse of portable equipment used outdoors, and the use of portable equipment with dodgy flexes.

A new consumer unit with modern RCD and MCB, regardless of the rest of the house wiring would significantly improve safety. MCBs trip faster with lower fault currents than an old style fuse and and RCD would protect against situations where the earth Z is high. Clearly are playing with probabilities and there is no protection against complete stupidity.

Part P will never stop the idiot and only defer the competent DIYer. My experience the competent DIYer will often do a better job that the professional who will use the lowest cost material and try to do the job in the shortest time.

Having qualified electricians pay for what they are competent to do is clearly nothing more than a tax. The same is true of FENCA and windows. Only cost more to the public with no gains other than to the government.

I see you have redefined the meaning of the word "tax"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back