Fuse Box Replacement

No but I also think it is highly unlikely that changing rewirable fuses for MCBs........will leave things any less safe than they were before

Plug, a nice thought, but I have seen attempts at board changes where cpc's have been snipped off or not connected, lights put on rcd's & sockets not, etcetera.

In these cases, the installation is definately more dangerous than it was before.

Sponsored Links
My experience the competent DIYer will often do a better job that the professional who will use the lowest cost material and try to do the job in the shortest time.

Well you have a totally different experience to me, fella!

In MY experience the DIYer does the obvious and ignores, or is not aware of, the other items that a professional knows about and caters for.

I resent your remark that a professional uses lowest cost materials - total rot - its the DIYer who will turn to the SFX catalogue and buy the cheapest split load board (no names).

I take the time required to to do a complete quality job, and certify it as complying with the relavent standards and -as a result - I do not get call backs from my happy customers.

unforunately you are the exception and the sort of person Part P has driven out of the industry,

I have worked in different aspects of the industry, commercial, domestic and with electricity companies and supplied a lot of these with equipment and the reality is they buy the cheapest to maximise their profits.

Large companies are the worst. In many cases the level of competence of the guys in the job has also fallen.

Part P is a charter for the large companies to rip off the public.

When things go wrong it is very hard for the Joe Public to claim.

unforunately you are the exception and the sort of person Part P has driven out of the industry,

I must be an exception as well because I always fit good quality kit for the same reason as TTC.

TBH the better quality accessories and CU are easier and quicker to fit thus the higher priced materials are offset against less labour costs.

As for Part P since it came in I am getting more work especially from other trades who have limited or defined scope

Sponsored Links
No but I also think it is highly unlikely that changing rewirable fuses for MCBs........will leave things any less safe than they were before

Plug, a nice thought, but I have seen attempts at board changes where cpc's have been snipped off or not connected, lights put on rcd's & sockets not, etcetera.

In these cases, the installation is definately more dangerous than it was before.

I shall never forget this: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=115872 :eek: :eek: :eek:

unforunately you are the exception and the sort of person Part P has driven out of the industry
How can someone who was already qualified, was already doing safe work, was already testing his work with calibrated equipment, was already issuing certificates, who already had insurance and who already had a customer complaints/warranty/fault rectification policy be driven out of the industry by Part P?

My experience the competent DIYer will often do a better job that the professional who will use the lowest cost material and try to do the job in the shortest time.

Well you have a totally different experience to me, fella!

In MY experience the DIYer does the obvious and ignores, or is not aware of, the other items that a professional knows about and caters for.

I resent your remark that a professional uses lowest cost materials - total rot - its the DIYer who will turn to the SFX catalogue and buy the cheapest split load board (no names).

I take the time required to to do a complete quality job, and certify it as complying with the relavent standards and -as a result - I do not get call backs from my happy customers.
Mr Memory strikes again... ;)

I have incorporated that picture into one of my training powerpoint presentations...

Are you sure you should be training people to do that?... I know Rob is a little short photographs for 'pic of the week', but surely impersonating a teacher at the local DI training centre and showing this is a little unfair :LOL:

No, it's what NOT to do!!

And how to spot a bum job!

Hmm, there don't appear to be any wires poking out of these switchy things here...

:eek: ;)

I have incorporated that picture into one of my training powerpoint presentations...
Here's another one for you, entitled "How not to install an instant water heater".

photo195-2.jpg

I guess so but you can easilly lose most of the earths in a house without ever touching the fuseboxes and it wasn't as though the sockets were on RCD before things started.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back