Fuse Box tripping!

I don't recognise that, but for some reason I'm thinking Chinese.

I will guess that the MCBs turned "off" with no identifying label above may be unused.

If this brand makes RCBOs to fit, you could have your electrician fit one or more on the non-RCD side, and move the most suspect circuit(s) onto them.

What this will do, is give that circuit its own independent RCD; so that
1) if it does have a fault, and trip, then you will not lose any other circuits* which will be more convenient

2) if the tripping is due to the accumulation of small leakages from several circuits, the separated one will no longer be adding to that accumulation, and may prevent the main RCD from tripping

p.s. if the washing machine is under suspicion, buy a 13A RCD plug-in adaptor (as used with lawnmowers) and plug in the washing machine through that.

p.p.s you might also ask your electrician to fit some Blanks in the unused MCB-ways.

*probably

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
I don't recognise that, but for some reason I'm thinking Chinese.

I will gues that teh MCBs turned "off" with no identifying label above may be unused.

If this brand makes RCBOs to fit, you could have your electrician fit one or more on the non-RCD side, and move the most suspect circuit(s) onto them.

What this will do, is give that circuit its own independent RCD; so that
1) if it does have a fault, and trip, then you will not lose any other circuits* which will be more convenient

2) if the tripping is due to the accumulation of small leakages from several circuits, the separated one will no longer be adding to that accumulation, and may prevent the main RCD from tripping

p.s. if the washing machine is under suspicion, buy a 13A RCD plug-in adaptor (as used with lawnmowers) and plug in the washing machine throuh that.

*probably

JohnD, Thank you so much for your reply. At least I can go back to the electrician with some ideas, as he said he didn't have any others! I'll add to this posting when we have tried and let you know how it worked.

Many thanks again!

fuseboard2.jpg

I don't like the look of the mail tails being forced over the copper pipe when entering the consumer unit, hope its not a hot pipe?

Also hope they're double insulated as they normally have a grey outer sheathing.

Once had a similar problem with computer and 'frig. Put plug-in surge protectors (normally used to protect the computer from spikes) into both computer and 'frig sockets and problem disappeared. Not sure why. They're cheap, but perhaps you could borrow two and see if it works?
Best of luck

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back