Fuse energy saying they cant fit a smart meter

As with Harry, I definitely have 'an idea', but was hoping that you might know the actual answer..

It would seem pretty likely that devices susceptible to interference from a 'smart' meter would be similarly susceptible (quite possibly more so) to the signals from mobile phones, but since the latter were probably much more ubiquitous back the than were 'smart' meters, one would have thought that it would have become primarily known as a 'problem proximity to mobile phones', rather than a problem with proximity to 'smart' meters. After all, if the devices in a CU were repeatedly tripping as a result of mobile phones in the property, the CU (or, at least, it's contents) would have had to have been replaced, wouldn't it

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Mobile phones may cause the same effect, but people do not generally use their phone when it's directly next to their consumer unit.

Mobile phones may cause the same effect, but people do not generally use their phone when it's directly next to their consumer unit.

They don't have to actually use it, they reply to the local cell regularly, so the cell knows where they are.

Sponsored Links
They don't have to actually use it, they reply to the local cell regularly, so the cell knows where they are.
Who are these people that store their mobile phone on top of the consumer unit?
My daughter's consumer unit is in a 'kitchen unit', just a few inches below the worktop on which her phone wil lfrequently be sitting. How close does the source of the 'interference' have to be to upset one of those CU's, I wonder?

Kind Regards,

A lot depends on where the CU is.

One of my properties the CU is behind the front door and the tenant has his phone charger permanently plugged in beside the CU and lays the phone on the CU.

One of his first comments about the CU change being the phone stays there better.

If it is the HAN that causes the issue then it is 2.4GHz and very widely used.

If it is the frequency the CH talks to the comes provider on the it depends on where you are, central and south are mobile tech, north is generally 420 GHz unless you are in the Fylingdales area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back