fuse or DP switch for outside door light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i added an outside pir wall light at my front door with 2 gu10 led lamps fitted, so i have a scolmore triple gang modular switches with a spare way and wondered whether to fit a fuse unit rather than a dp switch.https://www.electrical2go.co.uk/scolmore-gm2047pwss-13a-fused-module-white-stainless-steel.html into this https://www.electrical2go.co.uk/click-gridpro-scp20403bs-definitytm-3-gang-gridpror-frontplates.html. i asked a while back and was told a switched fused spur but i have nowhere to fit one so asking if it was okay to fit the fuse or is it a definite no no ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I guess you are talking about a lighting circuit with a 6A MCB protecting it?

A DP switch will allow you to easily isolate it should it go faulty or if water gets in.
A fuse, even at 3A is pointless. A 6A MCB will usually pop before a 3A fuse blows.

I guess you are talking about a lighting circuit with a 6A MCB protecting it?

A DP switch will allow you to easily isolate it should it go faulty or if water gets in.
A fuse, even at 3A is pointless. A 6A MCB will usually pop before a 3A fuse blows.
many thanks for setting me straight, yes protected by a 6A mcb, i just took the L&N from the nearest light switch.
Thanks once again

Sponsored Links
Are you sure they are L & N?
Often the blue/black wire in a light switch is a switched live, and not a neutral at all.
yes i dropped a neutral ( 3 & e ) down to the switch from the ceiling rose as i am fitting smart relays behind the switches, thanks for pointing it out anyway.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back