Fuse Rating for Whirlpool Bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted a 12 jet Whirlpool bath and have fitted a Switched Fuse Spur off of the ring main. As the house is only 15 years old, the consumer unit is fitted with RCBs so I believe no need to fit another for the bath. However, what fuse rating should I fit in the switch fused spur?

Sponsored Links
Dare I say it?

Part P :!:

Who's doing the work and are they registered or has an apllication been made to building controls?

Dare I say it...

Why, from the limited information you have do you think this needs to be notified? Which zone in the special location is the electrical installation to be found?

Oh, and it's 13 amps, unless manufacturer says less :)

Oh sorry!
I can only assume the bath is in the bathroom, I don't know where you fit yours but to me that seems to be the logical location.

Sponsored Links
to add never said it needed notifying, I asked the question if it had! but sounds like a new circuit to me, could be wrong wait for OPs reply and we will see.
High Horse get off of ;)

Surely the presence of a bath makes it a bathroom (as it's now a room containing a bath), even if it isn't in the original bathroom, or do the regs / Part P have some complicated definition of what is and isn't a bathroom?

well, the OP did specifically state that

"have fitted a Switched Fuse Spur off of the ring main"

So doesn't sound like a new circuit to me.

In which zone in the (assumed) bathroom is the electrical installation to be found? If it's not in a 'zone' it doesn't have to be notified. If it's under the bath and only accessible with a tool it's outside the zones.

Giddy Up :D

Part P defines a bathroom as "Locations containing a bath tub or shower basin" and goes on to to say "The location containing a bath or shower is defined by the walls of the bathroom". Part P makes no mention of zones so ALL electrical work in a bthroom should be notified even if it is under the bath.

Blimey and all I wanted was a fuse rating, and now I'm not sure I'm allowed a bath! To confirm, the bath is in the bathroom, the switch fuse spur is off of the ring main from an adjacent bedroom and located in the airing cupboard adjacent to the bathroom.

the area under the bath is classed as outside of the zones if the bath panel is removable only by the use of a tool..

the building regs make not mention of "bathroom", it uses the term "special location" and defines it thus..

“special location” means a location within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath, a shower, a swimming or paddling pool or a hot air sauna in the Wiring Regulations, sixteenth edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2001 and incorporating amendments 1 and 2.

so outside of the zones specified for a bath or shower, electrical work which is not notifiable elsewhere is also not notifiable here..

Note that this refers to 16th Edition zones - so for this purpose zone 3 is still a relevant zone. The fact that there is a newer edition of the regs is irrelevant unless and until they update the buliding regs to refer to it.

Part P defines a bathroom as "Locations containing a bath tub or shower basin" and goes on to to say "The location containing a bath or shower is defined by the walls of the bathroom". Part P makes no mention of zones so ALL electrical work in a bthroom should be notified even if it is under the bath.
That's Approved Document P, not Part P....

And the Building Regs most certainly do mention the zones. It's in Schedule 2B:

4. For the purposes of this Schedule -

"kitchen" means a room or part of a room which contains a sink and food preparation facilities;

"special installation" means an electric floor or ceiling heating system, an outdoor lighting or electric power installation, an electricity generator, or an extra-low voltage lighting system which is not a pre-assembled lighting set bearing the CE marking referred to in regulation 9 of the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994[14]; and

"special location" means a location within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath, a shower, a swimming or paddling pool or a hot air sauna in the Wiring Regulations, sixteenth edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2001 and incorporating amendments 1 and 2."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back