Fuse tripping with new double oven?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed a double oven using a 10mm cable back to a 32amp breaker. There is an cooker isolation switch in between and a connector between the inbuilt cooker cable and 10mm cable.

Everytime I put the power on from the isolation switch it trips. I realised it could be the cooker but I was also wondering if this could be because the breaker is 32 amp.

The inbuilt cable from the cooker is a small gauge to that of the 10 mm.

Any help would b appreciated.

Phil

Sponsored Links
Firsly what rating is the cooker, is the inbuilt cable it has rated to 32A - you may find it is e.g. a 3kW appliance, at which point it should be connected via a 13A FCU.

My guess as to why the RCD trips is because you may have wired the neutral to the wrong neutral bar. Can you take a picture of the inside of your CU, and indicate which MCB is your new cooker circuit, and where you've wired the live, neutral and CPC (earth) from your new cable...

Sponsored Links
(Also I assume you've notified this work to your LABC, since electrical work in a kitchen is notifiable under Part P of the buildings regulations - see the wiki for more info...)

a common misconception that bernardgreen has.. he asked about 35mA rcd's on another thread...

boy needs to go back to college i think..

a common misconception that bernardgreen has.. he asked about 35mA rcd's on another thread...

boy needs to go back to college i think..

I put my hands in the air.

A silly mistake of typing 35 instead of 30. My only excuse is confusion. with the recently used information from an RCD manufacturer ""To remotely test the disconnect function of the [30 mA] RCD create a earth fault current of 35 mA, ""

Never went to college, but have 40 years experience in electronics design. Nine of which were designing industrial equipment where safety was paramount. And I did complete a totally DIY selfbuild 3 bedroomed house in 1981. One of the first houses to have two RCDs.... permitted after convincing the local electricity company of the safety advantages of two RCDs and two consumer units. The meter installer had refused to connect to the dual RCD set up as it " did not comply with [1981] regulations.

If it's tripping the RCD and the appliance is new, could it be damp?

If it's been stored in a damp place, it might just need drying out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back