Fuseboard in meter cupboard *help*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked if I could change fuseboard at my brothers house. The fuseboard at present is in the meter cupboard outside. In all my time as an electrician I have never found a FB in a meter cupboard.

Can I replace the exsisting FB with a new one and leave it in the cupboard?

Or

Would it be better to move it inside the house by fuseing 16mm t+e by the meter.

Thanks

Carl

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I don't see anything wrong with the existing location so long as there is room for the new unit ! Might be a pain if breakers need to be reset, but if the circuits are sound when you test them, then this should not be a problem as they wont be tripping. ( I take it this enclosure is as dry as Ghandi's sandal. )

However, saying that I would move it indoors personally, access is much better.
Is there a practical place to put C.U inside within 3 meters of the main fuse
?
Would the circuits have to be crimped and sleeved to reach the new position ?

Get some 25mm meter tails and some 16mm earth, then the next sparky can work in the dry !
I hope this helps and doesn't confuse the issue !

I've seen a number of these and they all seem to be in houses that date from the late 70's. Was it in vogue then to do it this way?

Thanks for help

I am semi rewireing so I would not need the extend cable I would replace it. The best location for the CU is in a cupboard which is more than 3M away from the meter. I would have to get some 16mm t+e and a switchfuse for by the meter.

My brother is disabled and wheelchair bound so moving it into the cupboard is the best option I think.

Cost is the only thing that could stop me moving it.

Sponsored Links
ONLY SOME DNO's request a tail length of no more than 3m.

Some are happy with any length, and others want 2m.

I get annoyed with sparks advising what there localDNO stipulates.

Is the CU in a seperate meter box to the meters?

I wouldn't use 16mm T+E - so out dated, and the CPC is undersized, so you need to run an earth as well. Split con.

I've had this out with the ENA.

They are adamant that you should not replace a CU in a meter cabinet, which is for their equipment alone.

Ring them on 020 7706 5100.

securespark said:
They are adamant that you should not replace a CU in a meter cabinet, which is for their equipment alone.

Does this then include a customers DP isolator, or as in the case of the OP, a switchfuse to feed a submains?

didthathurt said:
I've seen a number of these and they all seem to be in houses that date from the late 70's. Was it in vogue then to do it this way?
I`ve got one here in my chalet bungalow.....well outside actually under the eaves..opposite the neighbours bathroom window.......funny how the trips keep tripping :p ;)

SS, I agree with you :D . All the DNOs I know will not let you put cu in meter cupboard.
The backing next to the meter in there is usually marked "for board's equipment only".

You can put two meter cabs in though - one for them, and one for you. This is done all the time for temporary builders supplies etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back