Fused junction boxes & circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want 7 double sockets installed in a room where I don't want the flooring to be lifted - underfloor access (but limited) is possible from cellar.

Electrician suggested the following solution.
- connect fused function box to the CU
- connect each of the double sockets to the fused junction box.

As not a ring or radial circuit can anyone tell me
1) if this is within IEE regulations
2) what are the downsides if any of this solution?

thanks

Boldm

Sponsored Links
Out of interest Boldm, what fuse rating and conductor sizes do you propose to use?
I am not an electrition and am following this thread out of curiosity as well as to learn something.
The Baker.

I'm not an electrician, so nothing I am about to say is necessarily correct but the two downsides I can see (if I have read it right, and you are proposing a layout a bit like a 7-pointed star) are:

1) The total current draw is still going to be limited by the FCU, so you are going to use a lot more cable, and do a lot more work, for no electrical benefit.
2) Trying to cram 7 cables into the FCU might be fun.

Also, do you not have a spare way in your CU that you can run back to ?

Sponsored Links
Does your electrician appear to be British?

p.s. you could treat it like you would a room with a concrete floor that you can't get under, and run the cabling in chases in the walls. this would mean replastering and redecorating the cut areas, would that be a prob?

Boldm said:
I want 7 double sockets installed in a room where I don't want the flooring to be lifted
I want to drive a Ferrari with Claudia Schiffer naked on the pasenger seat.

But we don't always get what we want.

Stop compromising the electrical design and lift the bl**dy floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back