Fused moulded plug to IEC with no replaceable fuse!?

No - what is clear is that someone who alleged that there wasn't has tampered with it in an uncontrolled way.
It's a solid plastic plug cut in half. I don't think there's any ambiguity about it. This isn't a case of 'warranty void if removed'.

Sponsored Links
No, it's a case of there being, or not being, an uncontaminated evidence trail.

In this case there no longer is.

Wut? This isn't a high profile legal trial. How exactly are Foscam going to refute what is inside that solid plastic plug? They'll take one look at it and go "oh you're right, we'd better get onto our supplier".

BAS, your forgetting the fact that I had to cut the plug open to reliably prove that there was no fuse.

Sponsored Links
You are all forgetting the fact that you should not have done that - it should have been left to someone "official".

Ah, the old "you're not qualified to do that" gambit. Exactly who is the 'official' person?
OP did the right thing to expose this in public rather than just speculate. If the seller is reasonable and lawful he won't object to it being already cut open. If the seller is not reasonable you wouldn't be able to trust them to investigate it honestly themselves.

Last edited:
Ah, the old "you're not qualified to do that" gambit.
Not at all.

Exactly who is the 'official' person?
The person/organisation to whom the prosecuting authority give the task of discovering evidence.

OP did the right thing to expose this in public rather than just speculate. If the seller is reasonable and lawful he won't object to it being already cut open. If the seller is not reasonable you wouldn't be able to trust them to investigate it honestly themselves.
This is not about the seller doing anything - it is about him being prosecuted.

it should have been left to someone "official".

By official, if referring to the seller, Foscam, or 3rd party on their side; your saying that I should take their word for it if they claim it that it is fused when I have clearly proven that it's not.

I would hope a reputable company would not try and dispute clear photo based evidence from the customer for such a simple thing such as a moulded plug.

Now that the "unofficial" examiner has identified the product is dangerous and fraudulant he can bring it to the attention of the "official" bodies, including independant ones with legal powers who themselves can purchase another "fused" device and do their own "uncontaminated" tests. When someone dies due to defective equipment it doesn't take an official to see they are dead, but it does take an official to certify them so.

Now that you have cut it open like that there is no longer any evidence.
If Trading Standards are notified in time and before the seller becomes aware of this forum thead then Trading Standards could purchase one of the devices and then they have all the evidence for a sucessful prosecution.

Can anyone point out what section of the relevant regulation/standard say's moulded plugs of this type must be fused. Is it in BS1363 somewhere?

Use a PAT tester (or similar) to do an insulation test at 25A and see how hot the cable gets in the short time the test is running!
An insulation test runs at about 1-2mA. I presume you meant an earth bond at 25A.

Either way, the cable won't heat up in any perceptible way whatsoever during a 5 second test.

Can anyone point out what section of the relevant regulation/standard say's moulded plugs

Look at the back of the plug, embosed is the word FUSED Regultions or not that is a lie, a false description ( that has serious hazards associated with it )

Or maybe it means ( manufacturer's escape clause ) the plastic used to form the plug has fused ( as in bonded to ) with the cable sheath.

Can anyone point out what section of the relevant regulation/standard say's moulded plugs of this type must be fused. Is it in BS1363 somewhere?
Yes, it is.

It might be worth asking Intertek ASTA about it.

screenshot_975.jpg

Jean-Claude Juncker - he's the man responsible for permitting the import of chinese junk
Don't worry - when we get to negotiate regulatory compliance with China, we'll have much more clout as a nation of 60M than a bloc of 500M.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back