Fused Neutral?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our incomer cover has always been un done honest.

There are 2 fuses one on phase and one on neutral.

Am I right in thinking this isn't the greatest situation as if the neutral fuse was ever to blow (unlikely I know) then there would be no return path

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that the neutral is fused, it might be a link.

pretty certain, these are 2 very large robust looking ceramic items, in the shipley area of Bradford

RF or BAS any ideas?

it is wrong and it is unsafe. you can get it fixed free.

Contact your supplier (phone no on your electricity bill)

It will not actually be them that does the work but it is their job to know who to pass the request on to.

If you get some dummy on the phone, send them a short letter.

You might get them to provide a Supplier's earth, and possibly an isolator, at the same time. Put a 16mm G&Y earth wire in place ready for them to connect to (otherwise they will probably seal the earth terminal so you can't do it later)

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, I thought it was the case, we were discussing this situation

at college the other night, and it triggered my mind to have a look today.

Thanks for the 16mm2 reminder, forgot they might like to seal it up :)

I'll bet there is a solid brass link in one of those fuse holders, but best to get YEDL/CE out to have a look.

I'll bet there is a solid brass link in one of those fuse holders, but best to get YEDL/CE out to have a look.

There wasn't in the one I came across. A couple of 30A rewirable carriers with fuse wire in both.
Yes I opened it :oops: , then promptly called United Utilities who visited the site within 48hrs and fitted a new cutout :D

Hi Garymo, testers doing great by the way :LOL:

I must say I am tempted to just pull the neutral fuse just to find out if it is a fuse or a link, but knowing my luck it will break, giving me a cracking belt and the DNO charging me silly money to update the thing.

In this case curiosity could kill the cat :eek:

Will let you know the outcome when they have been, fingers crossed for freebie Isolator ;)

Glad to hear it :)

United Utilities didn't give our customer an isolator. Shame really as I did request one at the time of calling in the fused neutral.

Give YEDL a ring on 0800 375675 and report a dangerous installation.

Tell them you have a cast iron cutout which may have a fused neutral, and they should get someone out to see you pretty soon.

Dont forget to have your camera on standby to show us either way. :D

And if you decide to pull the fuse use insulated gauntlets and a full face shield. Make sure you do it with the main switch off.

Hi Streetfighter, talked it over with the wife, she reckons I should upgrade my life insurance first, then she would be very happy for me to do it :eek:

Well phoned YEDL (cheers RF) the fella on the other end seemed to have no idea, still they are coming to update the incomer with in the next....

6 to 8 WEEKS! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

They very kindly offered to install an isolator for £81.50 plus VAT!!!

£95.76!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I think i will nip out and buy an isolator and some tails ;)

I think you should phone your supplier again and state very clearly that it is a fused Neutral and IT IS DANGEROUS!

I've a feeling they are going to send the wrong fella in 6-8 weeks ;)

Personally I would not thank them for installing an isolator, even it it was free.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back