new ceiling light keeps blowing the fuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
how many times do we have to go over and over this..
Until people stop thinking that they don't need any knowledge whatsoever before they start fiddling with their electrics....

Ban-all-sheds,
I have had a great deal of useful and constructive advice from helpful people so far and thereofore don't require any comments from Saddos at the moment, but thanks for the offer.

I am just a normal man trying to put up a light. and wasn't aware that I would be lectured by know it alls like you. I think you will find that this site is actually for people to ask DIY advice. Perhaps you would meet more of your own kind if you use Saddos.com?

I am sure that you congratulated yourself on your intelligence after writing that unpleasant email. Why do people like you find it so pleasant to be unpleasant? Well I guess you make the good people look even better, so you have a purpose in that sense.

I hope that you can find something more constructive to do with your time than to try to put people down in order to make yourself feel better. I don't know what issues you have, but I suggest that you seek professional help.

I though that this was a site with grown up intelligent people, but clearly there are people like you wherever you go.

Sponsored Links
I am just a normal man trying to put up a light. and wasn't aware that I would be lectured by know it alls like you.
Were you aware that you knew SFA about how lighting circuits worked before you decided to fiddle with yours?

I think you will find that this site is actually for people to ask DIY advice.
Let's try an analogy.

Let's say that you decided that you would overhaul the brakes on your car, despite knowing absolutely nothing about how to do it, and without thinking that it might be a good idea to look in a Haynes manual or ask on a DIY car mechanics site first.

Let's say that when you took the old pads out you paid zero attention to how they were installed and decided that you could shove the new ones in any old how.

So when you finally fetched up on the DIY car mechanics site saying that you'd fiddled with your brakes and the car had crashed into a wall, and asking what you'd done wrong, what sort of responses do you think you'd get?

I though that this was a site with grown up intelligent people, but clearly there are people like you wherever you go.
But because you came here you clearly didn't think it was a site for intelligent people, did you?

You acted like a complete ****** idiot, and you know it, and you don't like that pointed out.

Calm down ban, you've flamed enough people for this common mistake now. Yes, its annoying, but many people simply lack the logic to realise that a black wire is not always a neutral. Women, for instance.

And how many women have come here admitting that mistake? Come on, man, back up your theories!

Oh, and btw, my cats hate your cat food and it makes them trump.

Sponsored Links
Oh, and btw, my cats hate your cat food and it makes them trump.
Really?

Response 1: Call 08000 686 717 an tell someone who gives a damn.
Response 2: Dont get catty with me!*
Response 3: It has all-natural ingredients, dont you know! :LOL:

*I'm particularly proud of this one. :LOL:

with only 2 blacks it's fairly easy to figure out which is which..

put the 2 reds in the L of the light, and ONE black in the N.. ( the other in a seperate block ) if it lights then you have the neutral, if it doesn't then you have the switched live... :)

please mark the switched live with something..

Hi ColJak,
I have now fitted the light successfully, so thanks very much for your help. If I could buy you a pint I would.

As a new user I will not be using this site again however because I didn't expect to get abuse from "ban all sheds." It is interesting that he sees fit to bully people over the internet when he knows that they can do nothing about it. That strikes me as rather cowardly. I don't understand why he took such deep offence in the first place, afterall, I was merely fitting a light in my own home and was causing no harm to him at all. Even if I blew myself up, what business is it of his to lecture me and call me an ******* idiot. I am a qualified accountant studying a masters degree in Paris and I speak 4 languages, so I don't know who he is calling idiot. I have read his other posts and the way he speaks to people is rude and cowardly to put it mildly. I hope that he doesn't put off other new users.

BAS said:
Let's try an analogy.

Let's say that you decided that you would overhaul the brakes on your car, despite knowing absolutely nothing about how to do it, and without thinking that it might be a good idea to look in a Haynes manual or ask on a DIY car mechanics site first.

HEY, that's my analogy, get your own.... :p

As a new user I will not be using this site again however because I didn't expect to get abuse from "ban all sheds."
Let's see.

1) You decided to work on your electrics even though you realised you knew nothing about it.

2) You decided you wouldn't bother to learn anything first.

3) You opened up your ceiling rose and you saw that there were 4 separate terminal blocks but decided that you'd just stick all of the cables into 3 terminal blocks and that everything would be alright.

4) You saw two black wires going to your light, and you decided that they must both be neutrals, and that even though it worked you really didn't need to keep the same arrangement with the new light.

And you still don't think you did anything wrong?

It is interesting that he sees fit to bully people over the internet when he knows that they can do nothing about it. That strikes me as rather cowardly.
If it's any consolation to you I'd say exactly the same to your face.

I don't understand why he took such deep offence in the first place,
I didn't - what I took offence with was you carrying on as if you deserve immunity from even mild criticism no matter how stupidly you behave.

afterall, I was merely fitting a light in my own home and was causing no harm to him at all. Even if I blew myself up, what business is it of his to lecture me and call me an ******* idiot. I am a qualified accountant studying a masters degree in Paris and I speak 4 languages, so I don't know who he is calling idiot.
I actually said you behaved like an idiot.

So in your mind are there no circumstances in which someone attempting something knowing that they don't have the skills, and without taking the trouble to acquire the skills first, would deserve criticism, or deserve to have their behaviour described as idiotic?

Next time you travel to France, would you think it perfectly reasonable, and not even slightly idiotic, to decide to buy a boat, point it at France and set off, without actually learning how to sail and navigate first?

BAS, you have the right name anyway. You sound like a really nice guy, are you free for baby sitting? You are assuming that I didn't look in a book, but again you are wrong because I did, but it only explained how to wire a rose light. That is why I thought I would try a site like this, and I was right because I got the advice I needed. I have fitted the light now so thanks for nothing and please could you stop bothering me.

You are assuming that I didn't look in a book, but again you are wrong because I did, but it only explained how to wire a rose light.
Oh I see - so you did look, and you read words and saw diagrams which showed why there were 4 terminals in a rose, and how they all needed to be there for the circuit to work, and how black could well be a switched live, and then you took yours apart and with your own eyes saw that you too had the 4 terminals you then knew to be essential, and that you too had a black wire which you then knew was a switched live.

And then you decided to redistribute the wires between 3 terminals and connect what you knew to be a switched live to a neutral. And wondered why the fuse blew.

And you still don't think you did anything wrong.

please could you stop bothering me.
As soon as you stop carrying on as if you didn't do anything stupid and don't warrant any criticism for it.

Bas****, I will not admit that I have done something stupid because I sought advice, I got it and now my dining area is bathed in a beautiful light. If you think that is stupid, you should get out more. Did you give yourself some self loving after you wrote that email? Does it make you feel good to put someone you don't even know down? I have more brains in my little finger than you have in your whole body, so please stop bothering me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back