Replacing old light fitting with new modern type

P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a new wall light. The existing light fitting had a ceiling rose type connector box, however the new fitting has just a Live & neutral port. I have 2 twin & earth cables coming out of the wall one i guess is the main feed & one to the double switch on the wall. How do I connect these 2 live & 2 neutral feeds into my new fitting. I have tried connecting both neurals into the neutral port & the 2 live into the live port & when fitting the fuse the light comes on but when I use the switch to switch off the fuse blows. :?:

Sponsored Links
You've connected the switch directly across the mains - so when you switch it ON, you short the mains and blow the fuse. When the switch is OFF then current flows through the light and it works.

Connect the two red cores togther in a terminal block but not to the light. Connect one black core to each terminal on the light. Ideally, the black core coming from the cable that goes to the switch should have a red tape on it as it is switched live.

Sponsored Links
:D thanks davelx I had to connect 1 black core to a red feed into a terminal block & a red & black into the light fitting live & neutral but your advise gave me the steer I needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back