Fused neutral

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has an old victorian villa, his wiring is really old (rubber) I'm sure he has a fuse on the live and the neutral incoming terminals, when did this practice stop?

Sponsored Links
Not sure when it changed, before my time! Its amazing how technology has advanced in the last 30 years with what we use nowadays.
Be careful with these when removing the fuse (well it should be sealed so you shouldnt be able to!), i was at one the other day and pulled the fuses - one of the ceramic pull outs was broken down the side where your fingers are meant to grip it so i could have easily touched the fuse whilst it was live.
Rubber glove time i think :LOL:
Oh and tell your friend to get a rewire if he has rubber cable still ;)

If you ask your supplier if they currently comply with ESQCR re fused neutrals you probably won't get a reply - I tried with two suppliers and neither replied.
Did you enquire in writing? i.e. an actual paper letter?

Sponsored Links
Not IMO.

Write them a letter - they are much harder to ignore, and any obfuscation or prevarication in their replies can't later be denied.

And each unsatisfactory response is grounds for moving up the management hierarchy, repeating the question and complaining about the answers so far.

Bas, I only enquired because I was intrigued by the rider in the 17th re ESQCR. It could be a big problem because I doubt if any DNO can ever be 100% certain that they have replaced all neutral fuses with links.
They could, but they wouldn't be prepared to foot the bill for it.

You seem to like chewing on a bone - go for it see if you can get a defintive answer from them.
Not I - my house doesn't have one, so that's me sorted - you're the one who keeps on bringing this topic up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back