Fused spur as existing lighting switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this may sound odd but I have a normal switch from a lighting circuit in a hall that eventually feeds both the shaving socket and bathroom cabinet light within a bathroom, no issue.

Even with the switch being low, tenants keep switching it off...so thought to replace it with fused spur with a 5 amp fuse just so it looks different. However as I only have the normal 2 wires (plus earth) used in a normal normal switch, which way does this wire up? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If your light switch is wired correctly, Common to Supply Live, L1 to Feed/Load Live.

Earths into the earth terminal. Job done. You could just put an unswitched spur in, then they can't turn it off.

…or a blank plate.

Can they not turn it on again if they want a shave and to see what they are doing?

Hi, this may sound odd but I have a normal switch from a lighting circuit in a hall that eventually feeds both the shaving socket and bathroom cabinet light within a bathroom, no issue.

Even with the switch being low, tenants keep switching it off...so thought to replace it with fused spur with a 5 amp fuse just so it looks different. However as I only have the normal 2 wires (plus earth) used in a normal normal switch, which way does this wire up? Many thanks

Fused spurs are not used on lighting circuits. How do the think there will be discrimination between the 5A fuse and the lighting MCB?

How about a bit of tape on the switch?

Sponsored Links
Well I would imagine the mcb would trip first.

You could Stick a 13a fuse in there and it wouldn't make any difference.

I have a normal switch from a lighting circuit in a hall that eventually feeds both the shaving socket and bathroom cabinet light within a bathroom, no issue.
Are those in the tenant's bathroom, or somebody else's?

Even with the switch being low, tenants keep switching it off
Because if they are in their bathroom, so what?

Hi everyone and thank you. Got it and in now reading all the replies is quite simple.
Will wire common first and see if that stops them, then if not an unswitched one, maybe a blank plates...so several options. Thanks to everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back