Fused spur from Socket 3 wires won't fit!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Anybody got any tips.

Was taking a fused spur off a socket for my new home alarm.

Socket already had
2 X L
2 X N
2 X E

So a spur was an extra L, N, E.... because the electrician had cut the cables with not much slack I am just not able to get 3 wires wires into each section.... does anybody have any tips? Or what to do in this scenario?

Any advice please

Sponsored Links
Extend the conductors with suitable size cables and wago connectors . (I assume you don't have the knowledge or tools for crimping,which would be another option).

Make sure power is turned off first and carefully note where each wire goes.

Sponsored Links
Hi Conny, welcome. I know where all the cables go :) its just being able to fit them all into the socket.

most sockets will accept 3 x 2.5mm cables, not sure what cables you have there
Thank you. Im sure its just because they arnt long enough which is making it nearly impossible (for me).... very frustrating.

Good to know most should take 3 x 2.5mm

Thank you. Im sure its just because they arnt long enough which is making it nearly impossible (for me).... very frustrating.

Good to know most should take 3 x 2.5mm
Oh sorry, just reread your post, I thought you could not get them in the hole.

The best way is to draw a layout of LNE holes then no need to see the back then hold socket close as possible and use long nose pliers to get them in and tighten, i have put them on with about inch gap before.
Alternatively post a photo as an alternative brand socket may fit, Mk are useful as the terminals are layed out to do from above

The best way is to draw a layout of LNE holes then no need to see the back then hold socket close as possible and use long nose pliers to get them in and tighten, i have put them on with about inch gap before.
Alternatively post a photo as an alternative brand socket may fit, Mk are useful as the terminals are layed out to do from above

You were right both times. I couldn't seem to fit them in, but I was meaning 1 would keep falling out.

I think the long nose pliers are a great idea! I guess I get all 3 cables in position/in line with the pliers and then push them all in together.

Thanks

it kind-of goes together, what you can get into a hole when you have unrestricted access and plenty of slack and what you can get into that same hole under adverse conditons of short wires that force you to work blind are not the same thing.

Agreed, the terminal capacity and arrangement on MK "logic plus" (and the other fancier plus ranges) sockets are great.

Make sure you avoid MK essentials though, it's really awful imported tat, that was clearly designed by someone who was not familiar with electrical installations in the UK.

Yeah sort of, sometimes with 3 they wedge in a bit tight anyway, then just ease them a bit further in 1 at a time till there fully in,tighten slightly if needbe, so there holding in place, once there in, then push them home, main thing is there all in enough. but easy with the pliers not to damage the insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back