Fused spur replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a fused spur socket below my alarm. However the plastic casing has been badly damaged. I am not an electrician but I have bought the parts to replace the existing socket.

Is this something I can do by switching off the supply at the fuse box, disconnecting the current casing and then reconnecting or would an electrician need to do it?

If not do you know how much a job like this would cost?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Switch off at supply AND CONFIRM DEAD, remove fixing screws from plate, ease forward until you can see the terminals. MAKE A NOTE OF WHAT GOES WHERE, undo terminals( a pair at a time) remove plate and re-fit wires to new plate, making sure the terminals are tight and refit plate to back box.

It's a job that you should be able to do to.
Make sure you safely isolate the circuit and on removal of the front the socket. Note the connection down before you disconnect.
Sockets are quite simple to do.

Switch off at supply AND CONFIRM DEAD, remove fixing screws from plate, ease forward until you can see the terminals. MAKE A NOTE OF WHAT GOES WHERE, undo terminals( a pair at a time) remove plate and re-fit wires to new plate, making sure the terminals are tight and refit plate to back box.

PLUS. Take the fuse out of the old fused spur and put it in the new one.
Or (better) put in a new fuse. Must be the same value as the old one.
FCUs come with a fuse but they are always 13amp. Your alarm circuit will need something much smaller - 3amp probably.

Sponsored Links
Do we know that the FCU is supplying the alarm?

Just because it's right underneath it....

OK OK.

To the OP. First find out what the FCU is actually powering.
For example, turn it off and see if the power lost notification comes up on your alarm system.

Then get the handbook out and see what the fuse should be for that device.

Good grief, this is hard work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back