Fused Spur Switch for Alarm

VK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Back again with another question - I'm hoping someone will be able to help.

I've got the Visonic PowerMax Complete alarm, it doesn't come with the adaptor has to be hard wired. I am planning to break into an existing circuit (a junction box is only 6 feet away from where I want to install the alarm). I plan to run a cable from junction box which I will feed into a Fused Spur, from fused spur I will run a small cable into the alarm.

My question is am I ok to do it this way, I will use a fused spur that has no on/off switch, also can you advice what amp fuse is required for fused spur.

many thanks,

VK

Sponsored Links
Wait a minute - what is the junction box you are taking the feed from? Is it your downstairs ring main?

You will possibly have potential problems if anything causes that circuit to trip.
Ideally the spur for the alarm should be direct from the distribution panel as a solo circuit.

And when another circuit trips and the RCD takes out the whole lot the difference will be?
It should not be on a lighting circuit and an unswitched 3 amp FCU is what you need.

Even when I talk sense you argue just for the sake of it - incredible..

anyway - technically alarm control panels break the laws..

If the FCU is unswitched then the device it powers must have an on off switch.
Since Endstations do not have on off switches then the fused spur should have an on off switch.

However I know this is not the case.

Sponsored Links
anyway - technically alarm control panels break the laws..

If the FCU is unswitched then the device it powers must have an on off switch.
Since Endstations do not have on off switches then the fused spur should have an on off switch.

However I know this is not the case.
We look forward to you explaining exactly how.

And especially which law exactly.

Still awaiting the laws that are being broken for a FCU.
Seems Yaleguy3 / Skyboy just can't help himself can he?

And then moans in public when found to be talking out of his a**e.

Makes you wonder about his PAT (17th edition don't you know) course. Can't differentiate between fixed and portable appliances.

An FCU is a socket with an integral fuse used for connecting high-wattage appliances, such as cookers, extractor fans, central heating timers and heaters,
An FCU is a socket ?
A central heating timer is high wattage ?

If you are going to quote sources in your "defence" at least select sources that are accurate and up to date ( it talks about red and black in twin and earth and make no reference to safe zones for the cable or testing of the new FCU. )

they may also have a neon indicator light. FCU units can come with or without a switch but if it is not fitted with a switch, the appliance it supplies must have an on/off switch.
I very much doubt that is true either. A point of isolation for the circuit should exist but this could be a locked switch at the CU.

ROFL a FCU running a Oven, new one on me. Why they have a 45amp rated switch.
All out of date and quoted from a DiY site.

What LAW is being broken by using a FCU?

I very much doubt that is true either. A point of isolation for the circuit should exist but this could be a locked switch at the CU.
Or a DP hiden key type as favoured by Fire Alarms, of course an all metal backbox and Faceplate.

So what LAW, and what certificate is provided?

Seems someone is still struggling with the Regs.
We await all the relevant info. Come on Skyboy (yaleguy3).

I somehow doubt there will be a reply to this.
As he cannot find any LAW against this.

Also the dubious link shows no methods of safe testing before making the circuit live and then the required testing when live.

Hello. I'm an electrician. I have been for fifteen years now.

There is no problem at all with supplying an alarm panel or anything else you like such as an out side light, a CCTV camera, a fridge whatever you fancy really.

Things wich contain a heating element such as ovens, tubular heaters, immersion heaters are required to have DP isolation.

Feeding an alarm panel from a ring is fine. If the circuit is regularly tripping out then there's more to worry about than your alarm going onto it's backup batteries.

As for breaking the law, well that's laughable. Even the wiring regs them selves are none statutory.

Exactly RF.

And skyboy/yaleguy3 says we are being derogatory when we call him a cowboy. No! it is with good reason.

How laughable, Sky/Yale states a law is broken and when proven incorrect thanks the poster.

He has no clue on correct testing and installation of FCU`s uses a socket tester. Which is funny as a FCU has no sockets to plug into.

It is about time people realised he is the one here taking advantage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back