fused spurs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Dad and I are having a dispute. I said that a fused spur is essentially the same thing as a trailing socket. He says they are different, but can't explain how. Could someone please resolve our dispute?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
:?:

A trailing socket is intended as a portable item connected to "free" flexible cables.

A fused spur is connected to fixed wiring.

Thanks for the reply. What I meant was, whilst one is portable and the other fixed, the electrical connections are essentially the same (though one hard-wired to the back of a socket and the other plugged into the front). Yes?

Sponsored Links
A fused spur is a device, usually connected into a ring main but not exclusively, used to give a supply with a lower value load protection than the rest of the circuit it is connected to. So a fused spur can be fitted with a cartridge fuse of a value to suit the appliance connected to it eg. 3Amp fuse in Fcu to protect small fan, whilst the ring main is protected by a 32A MCB. You could "achieve" the same thing with a trailing socket but it is not "the same thing".

fatty said:
Thanks for the reply. What I meant was, whilst one is portable and the other fixed, the electrical connections are essentially the same (though one hard-wired to the back of a socket and the other plugged into the front). Yes?

Because the flexible is hard wired to the back of the FCU the user cannot (easily) change the type of flexible cable used to supply the appliance.

The plugged flexible can be changed for a different type that may be the wrong type ( 5 amp three core used for a 13 amp extention lead to a 2 Kwatt device ).

Bernard

Sharnbrook

Sorry. Perhaps I'm being a bit vague (or perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology). My argument is as follows:

1) A spur is made by connecting one end of a cable into the back of an existing socket and the other end to the new socket. The new cable is then buried in the wall, the result being a fixed extra socket.

2) A trailing socket (i.e. those things you can get in any general shop with a plug at one end, a socket at the other and a length of cable in between) is plugged into the front of an existing socket. It can be plugged in and out and moved around the house at will to wherever it is needed, hence portable.

Apart from (1) being connected to the back of the existing socket and (2) 'connected' at the front, I don't see any difference in the wiring.

Does that make more sense as a question? Cheers.

OK

Electrically they are very similar.

But they are different in use.

Trailing leads are a source of problems. People trip over them. they used them at 13 amp load while still coiled up. They get damaged but still get used. ( earth wire comes out of the terminal, appliance still works so the fault is not realised )

An appliance that must be on an RCD is connected via a trailing lead to a 13 amp socket on a non RCD protected supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back