G4 Halogen Capsules

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any Ideas !

http://www.johnlewis.com/Electrical...g/+Painted+Lights/4683/230400982/Product.aspx

I bought a couple of Wall lights that each take 3 10w G4 Halogen bulbs, and have a built in transformer after connecting them up and switching on they made a horrendous buzzing \ flickering noise and looking at he detail in the instructions it said not suitable for dimming,,,,WHY DONT THEY MENTION THIS BEFORE YOU BUY !

Anyway is it possible to replace the internal transformer with a dimmable one out there ??????????

Would this work
Has anyone tried it this way :rolleyes: ?

Sponsored Links
The light probably has a bulky toroidal transformer. Electronic transformers are dimmable and readily available online and from wholesalers, and they are smaller than toroidals.

You may hit a problem in that the transformer might form some support for the fitting.

Thanks for the speedy response Crafty.

The internal transformer is semi circled as you say, and does not contribute to any part of the fitting as such, if I got a picture of the detail tomorrow would you be able to recommend me a suitable dimming transformer for the g4 bulbs with a total load of 60w.

Sponsored Links
Will anything in your house be unmodified? Replacement module on dimmer, new transformer in light fitting, are you Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor? Has your washing machine got a V8 lump in it?

Again a modified item won't conform nor be covered by its warranty/guarantee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back