G4 LED bulb question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our extraction hood lights we have 2 G4 bulbs. They both went within a short period. As I could not buy halogens a while back I bought replacement LED G4s. When I put the LEDs - which had some kind of circuit board and lots of little SMDs in a transparent gel shape - into the hood lights and switched the light on they lit up bright briefly and then continued to glow quite dimm. I thought where in the house I might have some old halogen G4s still and found 2 in a cabinet light. I changed them into the hood lights and they lit up fine. The same happened with the LED bulbs in the cabinet lights. They lit up bright.

My question is why do the LEDs not light up brightly in the extraction hood? Would there be some kind of transformer which does not supply enough current?

Sponsored Links
They are a 12volt lamp and the hood will contain some kind of power supply designed for halogen lamps.

LED lamps use much less power so are a different load.

The PSU is probably not able to cope with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back