gable wall removal in bungalow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there everyone, I'm dithering over buying a little 2 bed seaside bungalow which has had a rear extension which basically meant removing the rear windows and doors to give the openings to access the extension which is right across the back of the bungalow.

So, I had a look in the loft and they have left all the original blockwork for the original gable end of the bungalow - and obviously all the walls are still in place below which stick out in to both extended rooms (kitchen and lounge).

If I were to remove that gables blockwork (there is a new gable end at back of extension) could i remove all the internal walls directly below and in line with it, which stick out in to the rooms so that I could just be left with smooth flowing external walls front to back? The lounge is 25ft long, I didn't know if these bits of walls are effectively forming strengthening pillars?

Thank in advance

Sponsored Links
So they've extended through the original gable end rather than 'the rear'?
One obvious issue would be the roof timbers- I'll guarantee that the timbers on the new bit stop at that support wall (as will obviously the timbers from the old bit). Unless they're both trussed rooves....and ceiling joists will be supported by something (though they may well be running side to side)
The other one you're rightly concerned about is buttressing- less of an issue in a bungalow but still a concern.
Some pics would be helpful

they extended through the rear of the bungalow which was a gable end. they left the gable in place and just opened the back of the ground floor, originally with a flat roof then later they put a pitched roof on it.

on this floorplan i have written "gable" where the back of the bungalow was - you can see the openings and the sticking out bits of wall i want to remove ideally...i assume i could either put a steel in or remove all the blockwork above anyway...??
IMG_flr.jpg

Have you had a look in the loft yet to see whether you're on trussed roof or rafters/purlins?
The wall between kitchen and back of dining room might be supporting the ceilings in there (even if it is a stud wall).
The old gable wall- if it is supporting the roof then you might be able to lintel it, tho it might be tricky doing so (if you wanted full width lintel then once you'd removed the brick stubs etc to insert the lintel that gable end would be floating).
Pics....

Sponsored Links
Pretty certain its a trussed roof (W shape), only 6ft at ridge - cant get pics as not bought yet !
From what you're saying it seems like quite the costly project even if it were possible to remove the stubs ?

Couple of grand depending on where you are in the country, you'd be wise to do £300 for a structural engineer to look it over (yes you can do stuff like that before you've bought & they'll be able to see all they need to provided there's access to both lofts). If it is a trussed roof then it becomes very DIYable to lose the middle infill walls...

So either way (trussed roof or rafters) it's do-able ? ie not cost prohibitive even in the worst case scenario .. ?
Thanks for all your help

If that middle gable is carrying any load from purlins then its a bit trickier but nothing outrageous (rather than trying to lintel a floating lump of masonry it might be simpler and safer to replace it with steel or timber A frame). Def worth getting an SE to report if (for you) getting rid of the nibs is a showstopper- £300 against prob £100k house price is peanuts...

It would need building regulations approval and a structural engineer's input for structural alterations anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back