Galaxy Flex 20 DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I need to install an alarm in my new place and I have decided on the Honeywell galaxy flex 20. It's quality that I'm after and I want to be able to control it via my phone or home automation system. (I'm away I will have to write something to get that to work)

I have done general alarm work for myself before. Removing the old one for a start and also moving my works alarm so am pretty confident I can install one of these.

My only problem is knowing what to buy to make sure it all works together.

Firstly the flex 20 with MK8 Keypad
Then I require a battery for this, However I don't know if I need a special one or if they are all the same.
I require 8 wired PIR's to start with. (Wireless in the future) Again, I guess it's good to stick with Honeywell ones but there seems to be so many different types. What basic one but quality do I require? I don't want the white plastic to go yellow in a few years time because it's cheap.

The good news is that the external sounder looks like a quality item already so no need to change that.
I will be working with my electrician to install as he has done many before and put in all new 8 core cable ready for it all.

Thanks all

Mat

Sponsored Links
Firstly, I would say that if you have the space, then fit a Dimension 48. The Flex still needs some refining. A dimension 48 on Ebay will only cost about £120 delivered. The MK8 keypads are normally quite expensive though. An MK7 keyprox will be about £40. Same functionality.

In a domestic situation, a 12V 7ah battery is fine. Buy a decent brand like Yuasa. Ebay is pretty good for these at about £15 delivered.

I use the Honeywell IS215TCE and have never had an issue with them. Try to avoid the wireless detectors if you can. If you are adding sensors to anywhere like a sunroom or garage, then use dual-tec DT7550's to avoid false alarms.

Hopefully you're not on about the Honeywell AG8 series external sounder. They're poor - not loud at all. Better with a Texecom Odyssey 3E.

8 core cable is fine, but 6 will do fine. Detectors can be wired with just three cores, so a 6 core cable can supply 4 sensors on different zones.

Hi there

Excellent, Thanks for the reply.
The IS215TCE and a 7ah Yuasa battery sound good.

What needs refining on the Flex? I do have the space to fit a dimension 48 but it seems like a large system for what i require. Also comes with a PSTN which i dont really need.

I'm not sure what sounder is up there but it looks like this one.
https://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk...ier-elite-odyssey-1-1e-cover-white-p-332.html
I will have to get the ladder out at the weekend. The system in there was an accenta 8 if that helps.

The Flex will be fine as long as for basic use and you don't want to add IP or GSM modules for remote self monitoring. Many people want to do this in order to receive details of any alarm events, then connect remotely to take remedial action. Honeywell will eventually sort the Flex firmware out, but it's already taken a couple of years to get to where it is now.

If the bell box is up there already and it's a Texecom, then it will be fine.

Sponsored Links
Damn, I wanted to add the IP module for that very reason!

Ok, I will look into the dimension series. Your saying they are the same with the same functions etc? I would want to add an IP module to that also.

Cheers
Mat

It does work, but every now and then the modules appear to give comm's errors where they do not send a complete event. The latest firmware has made this much better, but still see the issue every now and then.

At least firmware upgrade is a little easier with the Flex, as it has a standard mini USB.

So, My Flex 20 was installed yesterday and it's great. I let the sparky run the cables for evertything when the house was rewired and spent yesterday turning it on and setting it up. Pretty easy to do on the MK8 Keyprox.

A couple of questions that have popped up.
1) The GX remote software says "groups not enabled" at the top and i dont have permissions to view the log or output tab. I have gone into my user and changed my level up to 6* which the mgr user has and it still does not work.
2) To use the GX remote app from another internet connection. Do i need to port forward to the ip of the flex? What port does the flex use?
3) I know you said it doesnt work great, But how do i get it to notify me of an alarm? I cant see that the GX remote app does that feature.

1 thing to note if you are looking at installing one of these. The speaker on the MK8 pad is not very lound. I struggle to hear it the other side of the front door.

So, My Flex 20 was installed yesterday and it's great. I let the sparky run the cables for evertything when the house was rewired and spent yesterday turning it on and setting it up. Pretty easy to do on the MK8 Keyprox.

A couple of questions that have popped up.
1) The GX remote software says "groups not enabled" at the top and i dont have permissions to view the log or output tab. I have gone into my user and changed my level up to 6* which the mgr user has and it still does not work.
2) To use the GX remote app from another internet connection. Do i need to port forward to the ip of the flex? What port does the flex use?
3) I know you said it doesnt work great, But how do i get it to notify me of an alarm? I cant see that the GX remote app does that feature.

1 thing to note if you are looking at installing one of these. The speaker on the MK8 pad is not very lound. I struggle to hear it the other side of the front door.

1. I don't use the Honeywell app. Different results on different panels/firmware. Someone else may have played around with this to get it working...
2. Try not to port forward - it's not good practice. Get a decent router with VPN and use that. It's much more secure. If you must port forward, then it's port 10001.
3. The app doesn't do that. You need to use a third party IP service supporting the Galaxy panels like SelfMon.

Fit an internal 16 Ohm speaker. The panel has two terminals for this. Something like:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Indoor-My...-System-12W-/190535620706?hash=item2c5cced862

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back